Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android box for dummies

Options
  • 11-07-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Ok, I'm thinking of getting an android box but I don't actually know where to start. Firstly what do they actually do- can they play live tv or is it more like netflix? Can you get Irish and uk channels? Price wise how much should I spend? Prices seem to vary a bit and is paying more worth it?

Anything else to know?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Probably best to youtube what they can do. Certain talking about apps and what they can do is a no-no on boards.
    I found the mbox really good, user interface is easy enough to navigate and its got 2gb of ram. You might also pm someone who talks about them
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X3TA5KU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

daytob wrote: »
    Probably best to youtube what they can do. Certain talking about apps and what they can do is a no-no on boards.
    I found the mbox really good, user interface is easy enough to navigate and its got 2gb of ram. You might also pm someone who talks about them
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X3TA5KU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

+1 daytob also recommended this for me (for the dad) and I was so impressed, I bought my own.
    Think it worked out at just about 85€ , comes with a wireless keyboard/mouse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know if my box would work with a VGA monitor if I use a HDMI to VGA adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Is netflix preinstalled or can it be installed once you lg in with your google account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is netflix preinstalled or can it be installed once you lg in with your google account?

In my case, it was already installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭SM01

Similar to OP I'm also considering one and don't know much about them. Cheers for the direction and model recommendation! Might take the plunge after some research

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

Would the M8 work over WiFi in the room next to the router? There's about 15ft distance between devices and a solid block wall.

Chromecast is inconsistent, it could play perfect for ages then says it's out of range all of a sudden.

Anyone know if my box would work with a VGA monitor if I use a HDMI to VGA adapter?

You'd get graphics alright but you'd have to connect audio separately, either through the headphone jack or through an optical cable - may have sync issues imho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Keith186 wrote: »
    Would the M8 work over WiFi in the room next to the router? There's about 15ft distance between devices and a solid block wall.

Chromecast is inconsistent, it could play perfect for ages then says it's out of range all of a sudden.

Generally not, try homeplugs and you would get much better streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

Generally not, try homeplugs and you would get much better streaming

Cheers. Do you know of home plug would still work in an extension lead? I guess it probably should...

• Advertisement

They do indeed, well mine do inanyways, once the connecting sockets are on the same circuit, you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pa990 wrote: »
    With the likes of showbox, Phoenix, genesis etc, you won't need to pay for Netflix

And there you go breaching the TOS, we were doing so well...
    Cheers. Do you know of home plug would still work in an extension lead? I guess it probably should...

Theyre better off direct to a wall socket. If youre stuck for sockets then get a passthrough homeplug.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If you are using the M8 over Wi-Fi it won't work as efficiently as etjernett, WiFi is quite poor on M8 tbh.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm using home plugs through an extension lead, underground out the garden, travelling about 25 foot and into another extension lead, and still getting 20Mbos+ off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Generally not recommended to connect via extension leads, due to the possibility of noise which will impact on speed.

Better to connect via a wall socket, which is on the same circuit as the homeplug connected to your router.

But, having said that, it may work.

You can get passthrough ones, which allow you to still have a socket for use by another appliance, or indeed your extension lead!!

Here is a typical set-up:

F5D4079uk__77840_zoom.jpg

f5d4079.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ED E wrote: »
    And there you go breaching the TOS, we were doing so well...

Theyre better off direct to a wall socket. If youre stuck for sockets then get a passthrough homeplug.

Apologies ED, didnt see this before I answered above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 03ryan

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an android box too. is it possible to download the sky go app onto it. My Dad has a sky account that I have access to from my PC but would like to be able to access it on my tv through an android box, is this possible. What box would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

daytob wrote: »

The M8 wifi is not great

Better to go for one with external antennas

@OP I use the iVue kodi Plug-in with iptv and it plays everything I get every channel in the world.

Advertisement