Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 series Coupe 08+

Options
  • 11-07-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all,

I don't much about cars so I thought i would come on here and get some views.

I plan to buy a 3 series coupe 08+. I know I want a 320D, but how can I tell what type?

Is there any particular faults with this model or is this depending on how it was driven?

I have read about how these are popular repping cars and oil changing is neglected and face issues down the road when they are sold on.

Any other information people could supply would be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Regarding which version, the 320d from 2007 to early 2011 was 177bhp and from mid 2011 it would be 184bhp. M Sports are much more desirable than SE models but as a result hold their values alot stronger. Personally I would not bother with an E92 coupe unless it was a M Sport because they look so much better but some people might think differently.

The main problem with these cars is the stretching or breaking of the timing chain, it is well documented at this stage with plenty of information on the internet around it. If it were me I'd try and find a 08+ 325d or 330d, they have the more reliable 3.0 litre M57 engine which is also smoother and relatively cheap to tax on the newer tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 user_nobody

Hello Bazz,

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the helpful information. Much appreciated.

Best Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

BMW are doing a "quality enhancement" on these models if they have a decent service history. Some coupes will and some won't qualify depending on how they have been looked after so well worth asking BMW before you buy one if it is covered.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1183306&d=1427723613

I know someone who just did exactly that, and it is booked in shortly to get the work done free of charge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

vintagevrs wrote: »
    BMW are doing a "quality enhancement" on these models if they have a decent service history. Some coupes will and some won't qualify depending on how they have been looked after so well worth asking BMW before you buy one if it is covered.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1183306&d=1427723613

I know someone who just did exactly that, and it is booked in shortly to get the work done free of charge.

Seemly QE is on hold at the moment under instructions from BMW HQ Germany.

We have our own quite detailed thread in the main motors forum also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The fella I know getting this work carried out has his car is booked in. When he told me my reaction was great news for him as BMW are doing a recall as they didn't want to know when my chain snapped. He corrected me on the term recall and said BMW are calling this a "quality enhancement". Read this thread, reminded me to google QE and pasted that link in as a result. Forgot about Boards own thread, as I have never even opened it! :S

Pisses me off that I had to pay for chain a few years ago still. Other than that, it was a great car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

DO NOT GO NEAR A BMER 3 / 5 series with N47 engine - Major Prob with crank shaft -,big bucks 2 repair. Check it out on Google.

U AVE BEEN WARNED.

Hey James,

Forgive my ignorance but how do I know if the car has a N47 engine? Is this buy the model, engine size, year?

So am I to understand that BMW are doing free checks on cars? Maybe I have totally misunderstood?

Thanks.

Hey James,

Forgive my ignorance but how do I know if the car has a N47 engine? Is this by the model, engine size, year?

So am I to understand that BMW are doing free checks on cars? Maybe I have totally misunderstood?

Thanks.

N47 engine 320d has 177bhp. The older M47 engine was 163bhp.

bazz26 wrote: »
    N47 engine 320d has 177bhp. The older M47 engine was 163bhp.

Thats Great Bazz - So I get n2 a car & I can tell if it has 177bhp as opposed to 163bhp - Lovely -,Very Informative !

Take d engine number & google it & Don't 4get ChecK the Ser History.

• Advertisement

Hey James,

Forgive my ignorance but how do I know if the car has a N47 engine? Is this by the model, engine size, year?

Thanks.

I believe BMW are no longer doing the repair job free of charge - most ave gone over their warranty & their service packs ave expired. At least dats what I hear - suggest U ring a main dealer.

Thats Great Bazz - So I get n2 a car & I can tell if it has 177bhp as opposed to 163bhp - Lovely -,Very Informative !

You don't have to be looking for the engine number to know a 177bhp from a 163bhp. Type the car's reg into the free report on the motorcheck.ie website and it will most likely list either the engine type or bhp in the car's description, simples!

Also what is up with the over dramatic type posts from you? It's worth taking a deep breath every now and then before typing, maybe cut down on the red bull or caffeine too.

@bazz.

Well done bazz, ur latest reply is a lot more informative & helpful than d previous 1.

As 4 Caffeine / Red Bull - I take neither

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DO NOT GO NEAR A BMER 3 / 5 series with N47 engine - Major Prob with crank shaft -,big bucks 2 repair. Check it out on Google.

U AVE BEEN WARNED.

I believe BMW are no longer doing the repair job free of charge - most ave gone over their warranty & their service packs ave expired. At least dats what I hear - suggest U ring a main dealer.
    @bazz.

Well done bazz, ur latest reply is a lot more informative & helpful than d previous 1.

As 4 Caffeine / Red Bull - I take neither

Not all N47 engines are affected by the QE.
    word on the street is that the QE is back on and it has nothing do to with warranty or service packs!

As Bazz says, take a chill between posts, breathe in and out and then think about what you are going to post.

In all your rants you have actually provided no factually info the OP in this thread.

Advertisement