Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Ryanair start charging more for adding a bag through 'manage my booking'

Options
  • 11-07-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

So we booked flights way back in Jan, but didn't add bags at the time. The flight isn't until Sept but I went today to add bags and we are going to be charged 39CHF which is about 38 euro for a 15kg bag :eek:

The small print on the Ryanair website says...

1st/2nd Bag (15kg) - High Season* from*** €25 / £25 €50 / £50
    1st/2nd Bag (15kg) - High Season* - Selected Flights** from***
    €35 / £35 €70 / £70
    We are travelling high season (not on the selected flights) and the three *** means..

* Higher baggage fees apply on all flights on the following routes: International Canary Islands (excl Spanish domestic) and all international Greek routes.

***Higher prices apply if purchased through Manage Booking

I'd love to know when this was brought in. They have kept very quite about that. In the past I've been able to add bags even the day before the flight and they haven't charged any extra. There is no reason for the extra €13 charge except it being another Ryanair rip off :mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's there the last 3 months, possibly more. They are also sneaky in that they have school term holidays as high baggage fee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

They started doing that more than a year ago. Found it out flying DUB - Eindhoven. One of those stupid little things that can piss you off so much.

Discovered though that the extra cost wasn't added if the bag was added through their app. Don't know if this is still the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just tried through the app and can't see anyway to add a bag. I'm still too far out to check in online though so maybe it comes up then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

mel.b wrote: »
    Just tried through the app and can't see anyway to add a bag. I'm still too far out to check in online though so maybe it comes up then?

I couldn't find it on the app after checking in. When I went to the full site I found it under the options in manage my booking.

You should be able to add a bag at any time I thought. Don't have the app anymore, but on the mobile site there's the 'Manage Booking' button. Should be there.

• Advertisement

pajor wrote: »
    You should be able to add a bag at any time I thought. Don't have the app anymore, but on the mobile site there's the 'Manage Booking' button. Should be there.

Perfect! Got it on the mobile site. Sad when adding 3 bags cost more than the flights for 3 people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Perfect! Got it on the mobile site. Sad when adding 3 bags cost more than the flights for 3 people :(

why not buy the bags in the first place.

irishgeo wrote: »
    why not buy the bags in the first place.

Because at the time we didn't know how many bags we were going to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Did you pay the extra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Hi, would it be cheaper for me, if i check the baggage in, instead of being caught with the wrong size?

As i thought the person who booked it for me, i assumed they done it months ago & just asked me if i booked my bag on it, as im not familiar with the site & he used to work for them!

As its under 10kg & instead of 55x40x20 it's 30x57x30, i used the same bag before, but my brother booked the tickets a long while ago & pretty sure i used it as hand luggage, as its a flimsy sports bag!

Or buy the hand luggage in Aldi afaik it's cheaper against the cost of one way @€;30 at moment!!!

Hand Luggage: Restricted to one item of cabin baggage per passenger and as of December 2013, passengers may also bring on-board one additional personal item (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera, etc.).
    • Max weight – 10kg
    • Dimensions main piece of cabin baggage – 55cm x 40cm x 20cm
    • Dimensions additional personal item – 35cm x 20cm x 20cm

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hi, would it be cheaper for me, if i check the baggage in, instead of being caught with the wrong size?

As i thought the person who booked it for me, i assumed they done it months ago & just asked me if i booked my bag on it, as im not familiar with the site & he used to work for them!

As its under 10kg & instead of 55x40x20 it's 30x57x30, i used the same bag before, but my brother booked the tickets a long while ago & pretty sure i used it as hand luggage, as its a flimsy sports bag!

Or buy the hand luggage in Aldi afaik it's cheaper against the cost of one way @€;30 at moment!!!

Thanks.

It should be fine, as long as its not packed full.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

efb wrote: »
    It should be fine, as long as its not packed full.

Thanks, i found a smaller bag within those dimensions & its just 5kg, would it be just picky of ryanair if you didnt have those dimensions in the right order?

Was booking a bag for someone else & just when you go & pay, i noticed when given the option of paying by debit or credit card, it chose the dearer option, how nice of them ;)

Btw it doesn't say what weight the second bag would be, but mine barely weighs a kg anyway? as i picked up one of those bag weighing scales in the euro shop a while ago, just to be on the safe side :)

Advertisement