Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greek crisis and Islam

Options
  • 11-07-2015 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

We are being reminded of the genocide in Serbia today and it made me think if it could all erupt again.

I'm wondering if the Greek situation could bring about an upsurge of anti muslim feelings around the area. They usually get the first poke of the stick when things get tough around there.

I'd like to read ye'r point of view on this as I'm totally out of touch with affairs concerning that region.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

darlenmol wrote: »
    We are being reminded of the genocide in Serbia today and it made me think if it could all erupt again.

I'm wondering if the Greek situation could bring about an upsurge of anti muslim feelings around the area. They usually get the first poke of the stick when things get tough around there.

I'd like to read ye'r point of view on this as I'm totally out of touch with affairs concerning that region.
    Do you men persecution of Muslims inside Greece or in Albania and Turkey?

The former is more realistic than the latter but even the former would result in diplomatic and possibly militaristic pressure from Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Do you men persecution of Muslims inside Greece or in Albania and Turkey?

The former is more realistic than the latter but even the former would result in diplomatic and possibly militaristic pressure from Turkey.

ya I mean it's surrounding countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Greece isn't too far from the Middle East, if people started attacking Muslims in droves Muslims from the ME would come in droves to help them fight of the fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There isn't even the slightest indication that Greek government finances, however poor, is or will result in the slaughter of Muslim people in Albania of Macedonia.

Would Portugal running a deficit also predicate the slaughter of Balkan Muslims?

Pretty preposterous.

There isn't even the slightest indication that Greek government finances, however poor, is or will result in the slaughter of Muslim people in Albania of Macedonia.

Would Portugal running a deficit also predicate the slaughter of Balkan Muslims?

Pretty preposterous.

its 20 years today since the offensive. I wouldn't have started the thread without meaning.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have started the thread without meaning.

So:
    Greek government in a budgetary funk .... Should Muslims in other countries be wary of impending genocide?

Extrapolating this bizarness, let's hope Jews in Germany don't have to look over their shoulders while president Hollande grapples in the Elysée palace with his deficit woes.

Very odd idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Greece isn't too far from the Middle East, if people started attacking Muslims in droves Muslims from the ME would come in droves to help them fight of the fascists.

Not necessarily. Sunnis wouldn't lift a finger to help the Shi'a.

Turkey is mostly Sunni, as are most other adherents of Islam in the Balkans - so, as one poster has already said, Turkey would be the guarantor of Muslim safety in the region.

Plus Greece is about to reduce defence spending by €300m - I'm not sure they'd be inclined to poke the Turks.

So:
    Greek government in a budgetary funk .... Should Muslims in other countries be wary of impending genocide?

Extrapolating this bizarness, let's hope Jews in Germany don't have to look over their shoulders while president Hollande grapples in the Elysée palace with his deficit woes.

Very odd idea.

It might be odd and thanks for your opinion. i didn't want to start a silly fight. I decided to come here and start a discussion because I'm out of touch with the regions in question. I read up on it a good bit the last few days but the internet these days is so polarized. I'd really like to read opinions to educate myself.

I'd really like to read opinions to educate myself.

Grand

My opinion is that the Syriza budget issue will not lead to heaps of slaughtered Balkan Muslims..... Just like it has less than nothing to do with heaps of slaughtered Muslims in Syria, Iraq or Yemen.

Grand

My opinion is that the Syriza budget issue will not lead to heaps of slaughtered Balkan Muslims..... Just like it has less than nothing to do with heaps of slaughtered Muslims in Syria, Iraq or Yemen.

Do you think the Greek border countries could be effected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

I'm wondering if the Greek situation ... They usually get the first poke of the stick when things get tough around there.....I'm totally out of touch with affairs concerning that region.
    Seems like you're contradicting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Do you think the Greek border countries could be effected?
    You mean, liike Bulgaria? It has a better GDP than Greece and is not in the Euro. But, Bulgarian expats working in Greece would take a hit if they have kept their money in Greek banks.

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    You mean, liike Bulgaria? It has a better GDP than Greece and is not in the Euro. But, Bulgarian expats working in Greece would take a hit if they have kept their money in Greek banks.

All along the Adriatic sea and obviously the land borders

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I honestly can't see how the situation that the OP is proposing would arise, unless Golden Dawn got into power. At worst those skinhead morons would probably try to have their own Krystallnacht.

Advertisement