Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury duty all week - work weekends - Allowed?

Options
  • 11-07-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

If your selected for Jury duty but get scheduled to work weekends, is this allowed?

The trial is due to take place for 3 weeks and I've been scheduled to work the Saturday & Sunday of each week I'm sitting on the jury which means I'll be busy for the next 21 days.

Can this be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What would happen if you were normally scheduled to work saturday and sunday? If you normally got overtime or time off at another date this should apply. If you havn't worked these days before what does your contract say about working outside the normal working week?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html

According to that link time you are entitled to be paid while on jury service, and other employment rights and conditions must be respected.

I would argue that working 21 days is a breach of the Organisation of Working Time Act Section 13 however you should note that the Act does allow for a person to work up to 18 consecutive days without a day off (depending on how your working week is constructed). Your contract of employment may give you greater protection that this, but must at least give you what is your statutory right to rest.

Advertisement