Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SEAI Grant

Options
  • 11-07-2015 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

The SEAI websites says that their grant ends in Dec 2015, however I thought I saw somewhere that this was extended to Dec 2016.

Can anyone confirm if Dec 2015 is definitely the end date? And what is the likelihood of this being extended?

Thx
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Haven't seen any mention of an extension.

You should contact the SEAI directly and put the question to them.

Ok, thanks - will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

caster wrote: »
    Ok, thanks - will do

My one was getting processed this week if it's any good to you. So still going for the time being. Were you planning on waiting till 2016?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Roen wrote: »
    My one was getting processed this week if it's any good to you. So still going for the time being. Were you planning on waiting till 2016?

I think that the date gets put back every so often as a matter of course, I seem to remember reading that the closing date was 31/12/2014 at one point!

Even though there has been a serious uptick in the numbers of electric vehicles sold here in recent months, it's still a drop in the ocean and I'd be surprised if such a critical incentive was removed given the amount that has been invested in the charging network. I certainly wouldn't have been in a position to afford my car if it hadn't been for the grant. In time the need for such incentives will go away as prices fall - the Leaf is already far cheaper than it was when it first came out.

• Advertisement

Thanks. 2016 would probably suit better financially so most likely yes. Very tempted by the BMW i3 in particular at the moment though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Well it's a gamble and no mistake. 5k is a lot of money. Without it the Leaf would not be affordable for me.

Something that may have a bearing on the cut off is the fact that it states that the grant will run until Dec 2015 OR as soon as the money runs out.

Now while I know more and more EVs are being sold the uptake is still slow so hopefully if the money is still there come Dec the scheme will be extended.

Any luck with calling SEAI?

Well it's a gamble and no mistake. 5k is a lot of money. Without it the Leaf would not be affordable for me.

Something that may have a bearing on the cut off is the fact that it states that the grant will run until Dec 2015 OR as soon as the money runs out.

Now while I know more and more EVs are being sold the uptake is still slow so hopefully if the money is still there come Dec the scheme will be extended.

Any luck with calling SEAI?

Didn't get a chance to do so yet as its been one busy week but will give them a try tomorrow if i can get a chance. The 5K makes it just about affordable for me too. Will post what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

But as posted,with Renault UK matching the £5k Gov grant and 10k off the car,surely your grant won't be taken away?

Gave them a call but the person who answered didn't know and gave me an email address in there to send the query to. No reply as of yet.

The dealers seem to think it will be extended and I guess they have no reason to say that (seeing as they would probably prefer you to buy in 2015).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

A few months on since this thread was started. Have we any indications if the SEAI grant will be extended past the December 31st 2015 deadline?

A few months on since this thread was started. Have we any indications if the SEAI grant will be extended past the December 31st 2015 deadline?

I rang the number and was given an email address to send the query to. I never got a response!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

That is very poor of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

That and the loss of the scrappage deal would screw the EV deal for me too. You'd buy an awful lot of diesel for 10 K

BoatMad wrote: »
    That and the loss of the scrappage deal would screw the EV deal for me too. You'd buy an awful lot of diesel for 10 K

It has to end sometime, but VRT is a rip off and to be honest so is the 22.5 or 23% vat rate. Nissan should have been able to drop the cost of the 24 Kwh leaf and not increase the 30 Kwh price, this is bad form and they're probably trying to make up for the loss in profit from the leaf the first few years.

Advertisement