Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McKinsey, Bain, BCG

Options
  • 10-07-2015 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm an undergrad student currently studying in UCD. I've become very interested in strategy consulting of late and was just wondering if anyone on here knows much about any of the 1st tier firms mentioned in the title in terms of recruitment in Ireland.

I know McKinsey are the only of the three that actually operate in Ireland. Does anyone know the salary for a business analyst in McKinsey Dublin? Or if it is really hard to get internships in the London office and if people have any tips for applying etc. Apparently it's a very competitive process.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭useless

Forget about McKinsey Dublin. Historically their Dublin office is really only a landing point/satellite office for consultants working in Dublin from their London office. If they're actually hiring grads directly into Dublin Id be very surprised.
    My experience in graduate recruitment is donkeys years old so I'm open to correction, but if you want to work for 'MBB' then you'll need a track record of first class honours (not just in your final year), as well as significant extra curricular achievements (years ago, at the Bain grad rec presentation I attended in Dublin, I met a UK Olympic rower). In my final year, 2 candidates from TCD were hired by BCG & none by the other two firms. One of the guys was a Scholar who earned a First in each of his undergrad years and a First in his postgrad. Serious competition.

If you're interested in strategy consulting as a career, there's more out there than MBB, although these are the most 'prestigious' firms. Look at Accenture, PA, the big 4 firms locally (Dublin) or look to London/rest of Europe at Roland Berger, Arthur D. Little, CapGemini & others. Check out http://www.top-consultant.com/ for a view on the UK consulting market (not just strategy).
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 coybig99

I do know two guys going into McKinsey Dublin this year but I'm not sure if this is only when an opening is available or if they do annual recruitment in Dublin.

Of course I understand that you need to have an outstanding CV to get an interview in these places so I have taken that into account as well and am doing all I can to stay on top of extra curricular involvement and grades.

I definitely haven't disregarded the other conultancy firms but even the chance of doing an MBA in an American B school is really appealing and a definite possibility if working at an MBB firm.

Thanks for your reply!

Advertisement