Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathedral St, Dublin

Options
  • 10-07-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the name of the shop on Cathedral Street Dublin 1 that sold clergy outfits and is now gone? It is now a chinese restaurant beside Trocaire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I had a quick check in the 1927 listings for Cathedral St., but nothing very promising - just two drapers, Boyers and Hickeys.. the rest are Boot & Shoe repair, Hairdressers, Umberella and Walking stick manuf., 'feather dresser', vintners, a restaurant and a United Tramway parcel depot.

I'll check in later directories this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Don't remember a clerical outfitters on Cathedral Street, but here's one on Marlborough Street http://dublinghostsigns.com/donal-stanley-marlborough-street-d1/

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

A bit of googling... McCauls of Cathedral Street:
    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-24936054.html

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭fluky1

I really appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

just to add a timeframe for the business, the first listing for them that I can find is in 1965 as 14-16 Cathedral St., McCaul's, clerical & lay outfitters. The 1962 listing has a Maureen Harte, ladies' and children's outfitters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've split this thread into a new one. The old post was also about Dublin 1 but it's better not resurrect old threads unless they have specific bearing on the old topic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement