Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macro/Flash set up

Options
  • 10-07-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

So. I have a Sigma 105mm Macro lens on my Nikon D3300. I think I need to add a flash to help with my shots. I've been looking at different options but seem to be a bit stuck. The dream obviously is the Nikon R1C1, but its so very expensive that it will remain a dream.

I've seen an SB29 for pretty cheap. Its designed for film cameras though so I would have to learn how to use it manually. Is there a more cost effective option that this? I only have the flash on the camera at the moment. I was looking at some of the cheaper LED options but they seem to be pretty weak when compared to a proper flash.

Suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

By the flash on the camera do you mean a built in flash or a hot shoe flash that you can remove? If it is the latter then a simple off camera flash cord might be a cheaper solution.
    Yongnuo do produce a macro flash that is about €100 but I can't seem to find a Nikon version online, and depending on your lens it may not fit as it only supports 52,58,62 and 67 mm threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sorry, built in flash. The one that pops up!

That's an interesting suggestion. So just a regular flash and either hand hold it into position or use a bracket? I know nothing about flash set up so that would have never occurred to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

if you want to use the popup flash you will have to get creative. Any macro flash setups, even the ring flash that just "funnels" the light from your flash on the hot shoe, all use an external flash.

On my old panasonic I used a toilet roll insert lined with tin foil. This image shows a guy who done something similar:

DSCN0843_bounce_360.JPG

I'm not against buying a speedlight I just didn't want to spend €800 on a set up.

Some of those home made idea's are work a think on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Pringles can seems to be a good option:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pringles-Can-Macro-Diffuser

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

fixxxer wrote: »
    The dream obviously is the Nikon R1C1, but its so very expensive that it will remain a dream.

What about trying to find a used Nikon R1 without the SU800. You can use the pop up flash to trigger the units. It's a nice set up that I use for fungi and bugs...

Silva360 wrote: »
    What about trying to find a used Nikon R1 without the SU800. You can use the pop up flash to trigger the units. It's a nice set up that I use for fungi and bugs...

Do you mean this?

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Flashes/R1-Wireless-Close-Up-Speedlight-System.html

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

fixxxer wrote: »

Yes, sometimes you can find them at a reasonable used price. Depending on your budget of course. I find the flexibility of the R1 system very useful. You can take the flashes off the bracket and place then around the subject too.

There's a used one on WEX at the moment for £255.00. Still expensive (especially with the euro conversion) if your budget is small, but will get you closer to your 'dream' if you can afford it and is really what you want.

I should add that you really would want to be getting into macro in a serious way to spend that kind of money.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

There's a new Chinese offering which looks interesting ... the Kuangren Venus kx-800 which retails at $250-ish. Review here from Thomas Shahan (who always seems to use home-made flash solutions).

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

I use a few of the LED lights from Aldi for macro shots. The ones with 6 or 7 LEDs in a line. They're very bright - and allow a lot of flexibility in setting up shots.

I used to use a combination of strobe + reflectors - but found the LEDs more versatile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Silva360 wrote: »
    What about trying to find a used Nikon R1 without the SU800. You can use the pop up flash to trigger the units.

The problem is that the D3300 does not have the Commander Mode for remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

My Macro setup

20446834400_e34d2ea162_c.jpgmacro setup by niall.hirsch, on Flickr

The result..

19933937978_12aafd9014_c.jpgHoverfly by niall.hirsch, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

pegasus1 wrote: »
    My Macro setup

Thanks for the idea - I will try that!

My youngest will enjoy the Pringles as well!

Cracking shot, BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

My Macro setup

I like this set-up :-)
    What lens is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

pwllor wrote: »
    What lens is it?

Tamron 60mm Macro

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

Interesting. I always wanted to try macro.

Advertisement