Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to travel to Paris depending on cost of accommodation

Options
  • 10-07-2015 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

My fiance and I would like to go to Paris on October. Flight seems cheap enough. Just wanted some advice regarding accommodation.

I've been in france before and stayed in a hotel called 'Hotel Balladins' or something close to that name around Rosny-sous-bois or something. It was fine but my parents and I had a bit of a situation where we were late for going home and ended up catching the last train at the very last minute. Wouldn't like something like this happening because if it did and we didn't catch the last train, taxi most likely would've cost us a lot as it was a bit far from Paris.

Another reason why I'm asking is because I see a lot of reviews regarding small toilets and this would be a problem as I am 6"2. But unfortunately there isn't a filtering system for 'big toilets' so hopefully some people here with personal experience can help.

TL;DR

Would like a place near/in Paris cheap with a decent toilet for a tall guy. Don't mind if it's a LITTLE far as long as it's very close to train/metro. Stress on the LITTLE distance though.

Thanks a lot guys :D Also, recommendations/comments are very welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Try a private room @ Generator Hostel :). Bit of an upcoming area but really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

http://www.timhotel.com/en/our-hotels-details/9-timhotel-montparnasse.htm#tab-presentation

I have stayed in Timhotel Montparnasse many times, great location, right on metro line/train station, also I remember thinking the bathrooms where particularly big considering it's Paris!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Timhotels are great. Pretty basic, but what are you looking for!

I stayed in one by Pigalle Metro station and it was great. The area is interesting too!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Galadriel wrote: »
    http://www.timhotel.com/en/our-hotels-details/9-timhotel-montparnasse.htm#tab-presentation

I have stayed in Timhotel Montparnasse many times, great location, right on metro line/train station, also I remember thinking the bathrooms where particularly big considering it's Paris!

Thank you. It looks really good. Will definitely be considering this.
    Eponymous wrote: »
    Timhotels are great. Pretty basic, but what are you looking for!

I stayed in one by Pigalle Metro station and it was great. The area is interesting too!.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't mind it being basic as long as the bathroom is decent and as posted by galadriel, they are big. Perfect.

Thanks a lot guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

AirBnb is an alternative if you are happy to not stay in a hotel. We stayed in a lovely place with a view of the Eiffel tower in June and it was fantastic. Bathroom was big too :p.

• Advertisement

Thank you. It looks really good. Will definitely be considering this.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't mind it being basic as long as the bathroom is decent and as posted by galadriel, they are big. Perfect.

Thanks a lot guys.

Any of the rooms I stayed in where at the front of the hotel so request one of them, the bedroom and bathroom have big long french windows with great views, the bedrooms are small though!

Galadriel wrote: »
    Any of the rooms I stayed in where at the front of the hotel so request one of them, the bedroom and bathroom have big long french windows with great views, the bedrooms are small though!

Is there extra for this request? How long in advance do you think I would need to let them know of this request?

Is there extra for this request? How long in advance do you think I would need to let them know of this request?

No, no extra cost, to be honest I never specifically requested the front of the hotel myself but they are the rooms I know definitely have a large bathroom and great view. Any time I booked I automatically got the rooms in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

For cheap hotels in France, the "original of the species" is the old Formule1 chain, now taken over by the Accor group who also own Ibis/Mercure/Novotel/Sofitel etc. There are four F1 hotels in Paris, all situated around the périphérique ring road, so not exactly the prettiest of neighbourhoods, but all on a Métro line and very handy to get to/from. See the map here, and my preferred one of the four at the Porte de Châtillon (not far from Montparnasse). Now, these F1 hotels are really basic, pretty spartan in fact — but clean and modern (the Porte de Châtillon was recently refurbished) — and showers and toilets are shared on the landing (they're like big pods that self-clean and sterilise after each use). They're plenty big, though! :D*

Depending on your dates, you could get a double room for as little as €37/night — that's the room rate, not per person — which would leave you more to spend on other things like food/drink/sightseeing. At least, that's why I use them when I can; you're (hopefully) not going to spend much time sitting around in the hotel...? That Timhotel looks very good, too, but quite a bit dearer. One more alternative would be the Campanile/Kyriad chain, on a similar budget (and a step up from Formule1 in terms of comfort/facilities).

*Edit: looking again at the F1 Porte de Châtillon photos, it looks like they now have an option of rooms with your own en-suite, for a few euro more.

peckerhead wrote: »
    For cheap hotels in France, the "original of the species" is the old Formule1 chain, now taken over by the Accor group who also own Ibis/Mercure/Novotel/Sofitel etc. There are four F1 hotels in Paris, all situated around the périphérique ring road, so not exactly the prettiest of neighbourhoods, but all on a Métro line and very handy to get to/from. See the map here, and my preferred one of the four at the Porte de Châtillon (not far from Montparnasse). Now, these F1 hotels are really basic, pretty spartan in fact — but clean and modern (the Porte de Châtillon was recently refurbished) — and showers and toilets are shared on the landing (they're like big pods that self-clean and sterilise after each use). They're plenty big, though! :D*

Depending on your dates, you could get a double room for as little as €37/night — that's the room rate, not per person — which would leave you more to spend on other things like food/drink/sightseeing. At least, that's why I use them when I can; you're (hopefully) not going to spend much time sitting around in the hotel...? That Timhotel looks very good, too, but quite a bit dearer. One more alternative would be the Campanile/Kyriad chain, on a similar budget (and a step up from Formule1 in terms of comfort/facilities).

*Edit: looking again at the F1 Porte de Châtillon photos, it looks like they now have an option of rooms with your own en-suite, for a few euro more.

Yeah I think this would really come down to how much we can spend for accommodation. Both F1(en-suite) and Timhotel look good. Although I couldn't see much pictures of rooms of F1 so I couldn't see how big the bathrooms are.

EDIT: Found an enlarged picture of the en-suite room. This looks pretty good. I really don't mind the room being basic as that's all we need. Don't even need a TV as I could bring a laptop for room entertainment or something. Savings of 100 euro compared to timhotel.

I'll just have to see how much the total budget is so we can decide which one to pick. Thank you so much guys. :D

• Advertisement

Looks like we're leaning towards the F1 hotel. Would anyone know which metro station is closest to it? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭lc180

I've been to Paris a few times now and I've used Hotwire.com twice and got a really decent hotel in Montparnasse for €65 a night.

The only catch is tou dont know the name of the hotel at the time of booking but If you stick to hotels that have a good overall rating (80%+) you should be fine.

If you want anymore info feel free to ask.

lc180 wrote: »
    I've been to Paris a few times now and I've used Hotwire.com twice and got a really decent hotel in Montparnasse for €65 a night.

The only catch is tou dont know the name of the hotel at the time of booking but If you stick to hotels that have a good overall rating (80%+) you should be fine.

If you want anymore info feel free to ask.

Tried it out for my dates and it says 124 usd per night. Seems it's quite a bit higher than the F1 hotel unfortunately. Thanks a lot for your recommendation though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Looks like we're leaning towards the F1 hotel. Would anyone know which metro station is closest to it? Thanks :)
    Porte d'Orléans, which is on the n°4 line cutting across Paris North/South. Takes you straight to Saint-Michel/Notre Dame/Châtelet-les-Halles/Sacré-Coeur, etc. There's a late night Carrefour supermarket just down the road (Avenue Général Leclerc) which is handy for stocking up on drinks and snacks.

Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatgirl1

We stayed in the Platine when we were in Paris, amazing hotel

thatgirl1 wrote: »
    We stayed in the Platine when we were in Paris, amazing hotel

Out of my budget, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Try the Expedia flight + hotel bundles. We got a great deal for Paris from them, around €300 each incl. flights and a 4* hotel for 7 nights.

Techmaster wrote: »
    Try the Expedia flight + hotel bundles. We got a great deal for Paris from them, aroumd €300 each incl. flights and a 4* hotel for 7 nights.

Looks like a great deal on the good hotels but it seems a little bit out of my budget. Looking at the cheaper hotels, seems like 300 for two is the cheapest and the hotel is nearer to disneyland than paris. Whereas with F1 and ryanair, 320 is with the hotel close enough to Paris and that's with breakfast, too. Thanks for the suggestion though. I got hyped for a little bit when I thought I was quoted 300 for my whole trip. Brainfart :P

Advertisement