Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan April 2016 - recommendations for 2 weeks (relaxed pace)

Options
  • 09-07-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from cherry blossoms in Kyoto (which is my GFs priority) what would people recommend to see/do in Japan in early April 2016?

We love Japanese food, culture, and I love all the quirky stuff, so something that will give a uniquely-Japanese holiday.

We're in our 30s, but are looking for a pretty relaxing break so hiking/bungee jumping isn't on the cards this year ;)... Plus we'd like to do it all at a relaxed pace so perhaps 4 or 5 locations max?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Or which forum is best for this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mrcheez wrote: »
    Or which forum is best for this question?

A quick search of the entire Travel forum gave more than enough replies (730 in fact) & info incl this over in our 'Things to do In' forum :)

Happy Travels,
    kerry4sam

hmm not specifically about April though? :)

You've gone through all of the replies posted to date on boards.ie ?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's a load of stuff about spring/cherry blossoms. I know because I posted some of it.

• Advertisement

;) Cheers for the lmgtfy answers but I'm specifically looking for suggestions that are up to date (i.e. Someone who has been there in past year or so, or knows of any particular events in 2016 that would be must-dos that may not have been mentioned in posts from 7 years ago) and specifically are targeted at a relaxed holiday. As much as I'd love to spend several hours reading 700 odd posts it would be nice to get one or two suggestions about 4 spots to take in to get a nice first impression of Japan.

For example is Tokyo worth a visit for a few days? Or perhaps Osaka?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Very little has changed in Japan in 7 years. Prices are even the same. I've been there twice since I last posted but had nothing much to add.

If you haven't found anything that would suggest that Tokyo is worth a visit in your exhaustive research I give up.

Lol I give up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,139 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP

Japan itself is unique, everything you do there will give you a uniquely-Japanese holiday.
    It's a fascinating place.
    You will not be short of things to do.

Yes go to Tokyo, wander around among the huge neon lit streets.
    Go to the parks or to the area around the Imperial Palace, go shopping in Ginza

You can take a tour from Tokyo to a place called Hakone near Mt. Fuji were you first get a train, then a cable car, then a gondola, then a pirate ship accros a lake, then a train with a glass roof back to Tokyo.

Go to Koyoto and seen the temples.

Go to Hiroshima, the place is very vibrant and has huge modern history significance.

Get a Japan rail pass.

;) Cheers for the lmgtfy answers but I'm specifically looking for suggestions that are up to date (i.e. Someone who has been there in past year or so, or knows of any particular events in 2016 that would be must-dos that may not have been mentioned in posts from 7 years ago) and specifically are targeted at a relaxed holiday. As much as I'd love to spend several hours reading 700 odd posts it would be nice to get one or two suggestions about 4 spots to take in to get a nice first impression of Japan.

For example is Tokyo worth a visit for a few days? Or perhaps Osaka?

Just a reminder to read our Forum Charter okay :) in particular
    Boards.ie isn't a travel agent. Don't expect others to come and do the searching for you. Check out the " Useful sites for flights, hotels and more..." sticky and do your own research.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Bit of an attitude but anyway, we were there last March/early April.

Ours wasn't a relaxed holiday but not totally non-stop.

Tokyo is well worth a few days as is Kyoto.

We loved Naoshima Island, great for a day trip or if I was going again i'd stay over and make it a 2 day trip. We also went to Miyajima Island near Hiroshima which was nice, very quiet once the day trippers have gone home on the last ferry.

Book your hotel well in advance as the time you are going is peak travel for Japanese. The Dormy Inn hotels are cheap and comfortable with an Onsen (baths) on the top floor, but they book out well in advance in the busier cities. Also try Airbnb as that will be cheaper in Kyoto especially.

We stopped off for a few hours to see Himeji Castle - I enjoyed it, particularly as we were able to join a tour guide, but the inside of the castle isn't like European castles, it's very plain inside, so you might be better off just staying outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭lc180

^^^ top notch advice above. I was there last October and I'm also planning to go back next year for Cherry blossom season. Japan is a fascinating place.

OP have you booked flights yet? I've noticed SAS have really good offer for April of return flights for €530 to Tokyo via Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was there April just gone.

Did 4 nights Tokyo (with a day trip to Nikko)
    3 nights Kyoto
    2 nights Hiroshima (with a day trip to Miyajima)

To do it again with 2 weeks, I'd add 2 more nights to Tokyo (so much to do there), plus an overnight in Hakone. No need for more time in Kyoto or Hiroshima, though you might want to add one to do it more relaxed.

Also, there's a big holiday late April called Golden Week. If you're clashing with that expect more expensive hotels and crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Quick tips from my trip for Fall Foliage which was spectacular. I'm sure Cherry Blossom time is just as amazing but the fall foliage in late November will be hard to beat!

Rent a Pocket Wi-Fi so you can plan, translate, and not get lost as you go:
    I used: http://globaladvancedcomm.com

Consider staying in Osaka instead of Kyoto if you want to save money when hotel prices are high.
    With a JR Rail Pass (bought in advance of course - mine at http://www.japan-rail-pass.com) you can use the train for lots of day trips including Nara and Hiroshima/Miyajima Island.

The Japan Guide website is incredibly full of helpful information on everything, including cherry blossom viewing:
    Also: http://www.insidekyoto.com/

Search Google for recent blog posts about Japan as you'll find lots of tips from people that blog about travel.

Consider taking an introduction to Japanese language class as it will make the experience a bit better if you can speak a few words.

The Japan By Rail Book is highly recommended.

Have fun planning your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes great tips from Scott there - the pocket wifi is highly recommended, if you're travelling as a couple it will serve both of you as you travel around.

www.tokyocheapo.com is a good site for cheap food and drinks, though you will see tons of foreigners at places recommended there so you might not get the fully local feel.

Advertisement