Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddlers Hair!

Options
  • 09-07-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Not a major problem more annoying than anything. My 18 month old girl has a decent head of hair and the back of it gets full of knots. Does anyone know of a baby conditioner or any conditioner that won't affect her eyes if it gets into them please? We use baby shampoo in the bath. Not sure if it's a gimmick but she doesn't cry if it gets in her eyes! Also she has hair sometimes in front of her eyes but goes mad if I try to put a clip in it. Any advice for putting in clips? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

My 2 year old has always had a big mop of hair and I just had to cut a fringe into it as there was no way she was having clips (also I was afraid she'd eat them!). After 2 years I have only recently been able to get her to let me tie it up. No advice on conditioners but I've recently started using a tangle teaser hairbrush which I find great and very gentle on the tangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I use the J&J shampoo and conditioner, both of mine has my corkscrew curls! As another poster said, we use the tangle teaser to comb through, no crying as a result.

When I'm doing their hair each morning, I use a spray of the J&J leave in conditioner, doesn't make the hair greasy and works really well.

My 3 year old is fine getting her hair done, my 17 month old not so much but it's done every day as there is no way they are leaving the house otherwise! She's getting better and is understanding that it's a part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

For clips, until recently I parted the hair to the side parting and brushed it across, clipping it with a large slide like clip.

This way it was too big to swallow if she got it out, but as its a proper clip rather than a kids small clip, it hurts if she pulls at it so she tended to leave it be.

It's now gotten so long we have to tie it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

If you put some conditioner in a spray bottle with water ( any conditioner) and spray a bit on before you brush her hair. Ideally use a comb and start at the bottom of the hair rather than close to the scalp. Doing it this way means you don't tighten the knot by trying to pull through it. By leaving it in it stops it tangling again.

Is her hair long enough to plait it?

My girls had huge heads of hair, 20 minutes to comb conditioner through my eldest girls hair at 3 year old. I plaited it every night going to bed, made life so much easier in the mornings.

Conditioner is not like shampoo chemical wise so don't worry about leaving it in her hair. It's also a great curl tamer, on short hair it can be used like gel if you're skin is sensitive. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thanks everyone. It's not long enough to plait yet and she wouldn't stay still for that long to allow me to anyway! I'll try the conditioner recommendations and the hair brush. As one poster said it's a way of life and I remember first putting shoes on her and she cryed but now doesn't mind so I think I need to persist with the clip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Penzer

cbyrd wrote: »
    If you put some conditioner in a spray bottle with water ( any conditioner) and spray a bit on before you brush her hair. Ideally use a comb and start at the bottom of the hair rather than close to the scalp. Doing it this way means you don't tighten the knot by trying to pull through it. By leaving it in it stops it tangling again.

Is her hair long enough to plait it?

My girls had huge heads of hair, 20 minutes to comb conditioner through my eldest girls hair at 3 year old. I plaited it every night going to bed, made life so much easier in the mornings.

Conditioner is not like shampoo chemical wise so don't worry about leaving it in her hair. It's also a great curl tamer, on short hair it can be used like gel if you're skin is sensitive. ;)

My 16 month has lots of curly hair, I tie it up on the top of her head, I find the tangle teezer hair brush really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I also use the tangle teezer and find it great. You can also get a spray on conditioner for using on dry hair, I think the one I have is johnsons but not sure, so in the morning I just spray her hair and leave it a minute before brushing through. Definitely helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

+1 for spray bottle with diluted conditioner. It's what we use. light spray after a bath, brush through.

Advertisement