Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Mary's Donnybrook

Options
  • 09-07-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know if church records exist for St Mary's Donnybrook that pre-date those that just went online on NLI website?

As it stands, only baptisms from 1871-1902 are available and marriages from 1877-1905, but my great-great-grandparents' marriage was most likely in 1876 and I haven't had any luck finding a record of it over the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

St. Mary's Donnybrook as a parish was constituted in 1876 from areas previously covered by Irishtown and Ringsend parishes - parts of these also became part of Haddington Road founded the same year.

There was an older chapel in Donnybrook village, when the area was part of the parish of 'Irishtown and Donnybrook'. As far as I remember the Irishtown registers were included with the records for Haddington Road on the Irish Genealogy website - might be the same on the NLI site.

p.s. there was a note at the beginning of one of the Haddington Rd. registers which mentioned that the Irishtown records were included, and as far as I remember there was some evidence of rebinding - i.e. later joining of registers together in a single volume. If I can find the page that mentions this I'll post the details..

p.p.s. have you had a look for a possible civil index record for this marriage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

from the 2nd section of records on Haddingon Roll film 9213

354741.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Nail on the head shane.

http://www.dublindiocese.ie/parish/donnybrook/

I find the Archdiocese of Dublin page helps alot in figuring out the old parish divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Oh wow, that's fantastic! Thanks - hopefully I'll find what I need in one of the other registers.

As for the civil records, I was unable to find it up til now and when the civil records were taken offline I stopped looking. As they are back on now, I had another look and might have a match. One of the names is a variant (ie Anna instead of Hannah) in the record I found but it's most likely the right one and worth applying for the certificate to find out if it's a match.

Advertisement