Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - Teaching predicament

Options
  • 09-07-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m stuck between a rock and hard place and would really appreciate some advice.
    I’m going anon for this post given the nature of the situation.

Bit of a back story, I’m P/T female subject teacher w/ a CID of 22hrs per week - in a secondary school for more than a decade. I’m employed by the ETB (formerly VEC) and registered with the teaching council of Ireland since day 1. I love my job and get on very well with the pupils and the other staff members.

I have a number of FETAC certificates & diplomas relevant to education; I’m also qualified in my specialty subject, but I do not have an education degree (level 7 or 8).
    When I started a number of years ago, my subject was not taught in the school. I single-handedly established the subject within the school confines – purchased equipment, set-up the classroom, designed coursework materials, etc.

At the end of May before the holidays, I was informed by my principal and deputy principal that they’re advertising for a full-time teacher for my subject. I was told in no uncertain terms that I cannot apply for the position due to lack of qualifications and that my current hours /position would not be affected.
    I felt very upset by this news, understandably. I have since learnt through the grapevine that another teacher (who previously worked in my school for a brief time) has been groomed, as-it-were for this job, and will more than likely get the job.

I felt very discouraged by the conversation with the principal – essentially I have been denied the chance to even apply for a job I have been doing for years. What are my entitlements in this scenario?

Would really appreciate any comments or advice……

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Thats a pity and an awful situation to be put in especially after 10 years. I would say contacting your union rep for advice would be a good step.
    Edit: I read this that you are qualified since you are registered with the teaching council but don't hold a degree in your subject area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

They have a point if your not qualified, simple as. If you got the job and another "qualified person" didn't, they would be sued. If it was me, I'd get over it, or leave whatever way you wan't.
    In my experience. The biggest problem with secondary schools are management. Most managers of secondary schools are not professional managers, they are teachers, that entered into management. They never wanted a career in management to begin with, they studied to be teachers, then perhaps didn't like it and "drifted" into management. That is what your also/always up against too.
    You still have a job. And remember the most important thing.... Its only a job

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

my current hours /position would not be affected.

Trying not to sound mean here, but:

You've been told that your hours are not affected. So you will still be getting the same money you were - you just won't be taking any of the additional responsibilities. So what's the actual rock and hard place involved?

The school made a bad mistake in letting someone who was not a qualified teacher set up a subject area and effectively become a "head of department" (or whatever they are called here). I'm actually somewhat gob-smacked that the other teachers allowed it to happen. Limited authority to teach is one thing - but is most certainly shouldn't extend to programme leadership!

If you want a career in teaching, then get yourself a teaching qualification that's appropriate for the age-level you want to be teaching at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The Principal is correct. He cannot hire an unqualified teacher, neither the Department nor the Union would allow it. Mrs O'Bumble is correct, you are stuck unless you get the qualification., there has been a long lead in to this, many unqualified teachers upskilled during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From a few family who work as teachers seems a bit of a mental setup with a lot of back channels used and the likes. Really convaluted and complex setup within the unions and structure and where teachers can go and cannot.

As above it's right that someone with the relevant qualifications is interviewed for the post. This is probably extra important as the Education sector is under a microscope as more and more reports and stories emerge of unqualified teachers come into the public domain along with other teacher related issues. Principal will obviously want to shield himself/herself from any blowback should a report show an under qualified teacher holding X position.

What I would say is fair play to you for having initiative in setting up whatever you did, and no one can take that away from you. That's something good for the old CV and record that you setup something from scratch and kept it going, showing some innovation and trying to make the school better.

While you might not be able to get that specific position, take pride in what you did do, and if required continue gathering your relevant certificates and degrees. That might come back as a good thing down the line if you look into the management type roles.

I know one of my relatives essentially started the computer class in her school. Under privileged area and she begged and borrowed and got sponsorship and donations to get the whole thing going(at a time when computers werent so obviously important). The school got proper funding from the department and when establishing the position officially she wasnt entitlted due to no qualifications (even though she was adept at the sort of PC skills she was teaching children)

Long story short it came back in spades when she went for a management role and was looked favouribly, and upon her retirement the computer classroom was named after her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement