Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub still being paid

Options
  • 09-07-2015 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi guys have been teaching years on various types of contracts and have never been paid for summer before this year. Anyway I subbed for a year this year full hrs and was paid hourly. Now I know the dept spread out payments but I was surprised that I was still getting paid today. Not full amount but it says retro pay for some of it. I'm now being paid privately since June so just wondering what these payments refer to ? are they backdated tax?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

janes1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys have been teaching years on various types of contracts and have never been paid for summer before this year. Anyway I subbed for a year this year full hrs and was paid hourly. Now I know the dept spread out payments but I was surprised that I was still getting paid today. Not full amount but it says retro pay for some of it. I'm now being paid privately since June so just wondering what these payments refer to ? are they backdated tax?

All I'd say is keep quiet and cash the cheques...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

katydid wrote: »
    All I'd say is keep quiet and cash the cheques...

I would say the complete opposite, they are totally entitled to come after you for any overpayment. It happened a teacher in my school who managed 'not to notice' that she was getting full pay while job sharing. Her pay was docked for the next two years while it was paid back. As a part time sub this could bite you OP. Ring up and check before you spend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I definitely agree that you should query this so you aren't stuck paying back money that has been spent.

But if it says retro pay then it could be for bank holidays? Or maybe you were due an increment? Increments were messed up this year so perhaps subs are only getting sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I apologies that this is off topic but there's a maternity leave contract for 6 months that I would like to apply for. I'm not have a qualified teacher but have an MA in the subject. Am I in the remit to apply, even though I'm not registered with teaching council etc?

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I apologies that this is off topic but there's a maternity leave contract for 6 months that I would like to apply for. I'm not have a qualified teacher but have an MA in the subject. Am I in the remit to apply, even though I'm not registered with teaching council etc?

Easy answer; no...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

no, you're not a qualified teacher. No more than I can't apply for a surgeon's job in a hospital with my biology degree.

no, you're not a qualified teacher. No more than I can't apply for a surgeon's job in a hospital with my biology degree.

Well, wasn't that put so eloquently.

katydid wrote: »
    Easy answer; no...

Thanks, thought as much. It's substitute maternity, still a no??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

janes1234 wrote: »

Could be the school being nice to you and using up hours. Ring the school first.

Thanks, thought as much. It's substitute maternity, still a no??

You're not a qualified teacher... You can't teach unless you're qualified, it's pretty straightforward. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

OP check with the school first and then contact the DES, they once sent me a letter warning me that I had been overpaid by less than 5 euro and they would take it out of my next paycheck! ! So there is someone on staff in there who checks up on overpayment. Better to alert them to it now and to know if they want to take it back than to get a nasty shock in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Do check with them. I got retro pay in the summer last year. It turned out to be my honours degree allowance and putting me on the correct place on the payscale. No need to be frightened about it until you check with them.

Advertisement