Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from Home and VAT/Income Tax

Options
  • 09-07-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,
    I'm a sole trader working from home. Can I claim back income tax on things like property tax and house insurance?
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hi Nelly,

No neither Property Tax or House Insurance are tax deductable expenses if you are working from your primary place of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

As far as I know you can. You can also deduct all utility bills and UPC. VAT can also be reclaimed on electricity and telephone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As far as I know you can. You can also deduct all utility bills and UPC. VAT can also be reclaimed on electricity and telephone.

House Insurance and Property Tax no.

As for Electricity, only a portion can be claimed back. As for UPC, broadband can be claimed but not TV packages, again person phonebills will have to exclude personal calls and texts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

The expense must be "wholly and exclusively" paid for the purposes of the trade or profession. So normally insurance costs incurred would fail this test as they are also incurred in order to live safely in your house.

Not unless you had to take out some additional insurance to cover special equipment etc or had a separate converted area of your house such as a garage where you carried on your business would it be considered deductable.

Property tax is not allowed for the same reason.

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This is the worst advice ever

• Advertisement
Advertisement