Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career in accountancy

Options
  • 08-07-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I'm considering going to college, but have reservations. I dont want to pay thousands a year for several years to end up with no career/job.

How do people who are in accountancy find it ? Are there many jobs ? Is it hard to get an entry level job these days ? How important is the college you go to for potentially finding work ?

Any advice or past experinces would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm considering going to college, but have reservations. I dont want to pay thousands a year for several years to end up with no career/job.

How do people who are in accountancy find it ? Are there many jobs ? Is it hard to get an entry level job these days ? How important is the college you go to for potentially finding work ?

There are alot of entry level jobs in Accountancy (Traineeships, etc) It is easy enough to get snapped up but expect low pay starting off.

Some things you should consider, some people are obsessed with getting a placement in a Top 4 Practice, these positions are tougher to get into as competition is tough for them.

Smaller practices will give you more hands on experience and there's always a chance to still make top 4 once you've gained experience/become more senior.

For Accountancy when you're done with college you're not done with study. You still have your professional exams to tackle, college will get you exemptions but there still are exams to sit.

Advertisement