Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning to college as a mature student

Options
  • 08-07-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My daughter has got a place in UCD for veterinary medicine. She is 28 and going in as mature student in Sept 2015. She needs all the financial help that she can get. the AIB bank used to do a loan that you could pay off when you started working but they dont do this anymore and informed us that the bank of Ireland did it now but that is not the case. They stopped doing it a few months back. she has applied for a grant but that wont cover much as the course is 5 years at 78,000 euro. I am hoping that by posting this on here we might get some wonderful advice and suggestions that would put her in the right direction finanically.

Thanking You

a very concerned mom.

Mauraanda

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Does she not qualify for free tuition under the free fees initiative? I don't see why she'd have to pay anything other than the student contribution charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mauraanda

thanks for your reply. she told me she can not get free fees as she was in college before where she done law. so she informs me she wont get free fees now this time. My head is done in as I really want her to have this chance as she has been through so much in the last few years.

thanks

Mauraanda wrote: »
    thanks for your reply. she told me she can not get free fees as she was in college before where she done law. so she informs me she wont get free fees now this time. My head is done in as I really want her to have this chance as she has been through so much in the last few years.

thanks

Ah, it's her second degree.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if there was any type of substantial grant available to someone in her position. Even if there was, it would never be more than the current maximum existing grant (the 'special' rate is currently €5,915 per year).

It's not good news I'm afraid. And I don't mean to sound like a hard ass, but if everyone qualified for free fees on their second degree then many of us would spend the the best part of a decade in college. It's harsh for people like your daughter but the line has to be drawn somewhere. We're blessed to have free fees at all.

Try the Mature & Non-Traditional Students forum as well. Perhaps someone there will have more specific advice.

Also, see if you have an AEGIS office nearby (Adult Education Guidance & Information Service). They're very helpful.

Best of luck. Hopefully she makes it.

By the way, I hope that doesn't sound like a lecture. That wasn't my intention. I just know how frustrating it is trying to chase up grants and feeling hard done by. But occasionally I needed to be reminded that, actually, I was getting a university education for practically nothing. All in all Irish students were well looked after when I started college (2009).

yeah me to. She got a very small grant the first time as she was living with me and working part time . I dont think she will be able to work this time round. thanks for your help. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Pooch88

Hi Mauraanda,

I'm in the same boat as your daughter except its medicine I'm goin back to college for. AIB do a €10,000 interest free loan that has to be paid 5 yrs after graduation , they also do a personal loan up to 50k I think and can do interest only with that till she graduates, from what I remember boi were dearer but check to make sure

Hope that helps and hopes she gets sorted

Hi there.

we have been in touch with both of the above and are in the process of sorting out what suits my daughter best.
    Thanks for getting in touch and may I wish you all the best for your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi there.

we have been in touch with both of the above and are in the process of sorting out what suits my daughter best.
    Thanks for getting in touch and may I wish you all the best for your future.

Did your daughter get her qualification in her last degree course or has she any qualifications?

She has a law degree and is returning as a mature student this time round.

She has a law degree and is returning as a mature student this time round.

Thanks, I was wondering if she actually qualified and could be considered a second chance student.
    Unfortunately there is no funding available for a person studying for their second degree.

• Advertisement

yeah I know. its very tough out there. We will get it sorted hopefully. Thanks

Hi we just found out today that my daughter is not going to get the grant as she already has a lwa degree. We were hoping she would get it as a second chance student. We have been told to appeal it in writing in the next 30 day. any ideas or help would be most welcome now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Pretty straightforward rule with no hope of appealing i would imagine.

In the government's eyes they have already supported her for a Degree that she should be now using to get a job.

Many people don't even get one chance never mind two.

Is the Law industry not great at the moment for gaining employment?

She done her llb and that was it She only got a very small grant the first time as she was living at home with me. She was very young back then and everyone deserves a second chance. Whatever grant she got she has it well paid back by now. There is an appeal process and we are going to give it a go. No harm in trying.

She done her llb and that was it She only got a very small grant the first time as she was living at home with me. She was very young back then and everyone deserves a second chance. Whatever grant she got she has it well paid back by now. There is an appeal process and we are going to give it a go. No harm in trying.

I'm afraid you would be wasting your time and the time of many people that would have to look into your case.
    As outlined before, it is very straight forward. No-one gets funding or assistance from the grants authority (SUSI) for a second degree.

Your daughter would be refused on two points within the Student Grant Scheme 2015.

Having already completed a course on the NFQ at Level 8
    Having already completed a maximum period of study of 4 years at Level 8

Your Daughter MUST be progressing in her studies before she would be eligible to apply for any funding from the State.

ok thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This might seem like a daft suggestion, but has she considered a longer term loan option? A mortgage of some sort, perhaps? Being qualified in two relatively lucrative areas, and still being relatively young with plenty of earning potential might be looked at favourably by some of the lending institutions?

And I hate to make this suggestion, but if it were taken under guarantee? Parents have guaranteed loans for mad property purchases in the boom times. The figure you're quoting is substantially less than what many were stupidly given. Perhaps an unofficial chat with your bank manager might be enlightening.

Or the credit union? How's her saving situation at the moment? Remember, she doesn't need all the cash up front. An understanding loan officer, if a sum relative to the year's fees were deposited each year, and payments plus monthly deposits were kept up, could be very helpful to her.

There are always options. These things can be about clever management of available funds, rather than having it all up front. With a little bit of support from family, and fairly frugal living + summer work, it's doable. Not easy, but doable.

Best of luck to her. From your tone, it sounds like she really wants this. I wish her all the best with it.

We are working on all off the above and with all of the above. I believe we can do it as you say. I see you are in Dublin. Do you have any info on accommodation near UCD by any chance. I really want her to have this chance as she has been through a lot over the last few years and there was only 5 places for vet med. Thanks a million for all your help.

We are working on all off the above and with all of the above. I believe we can do it as you say. I see you are in Dublin. Do you have any info on accommodation near UCD by any chance. I really want her to have this chance as she has been through a lot over the last few years and there was only 5 places for vet med. Thanks a million for all your help.

Ah, you're very welcome. Not sure if I've been any help at all, though...

Somewhere like sandyford would be ideal for UCD. There are closer suburbs, but the rent prices, do drop significantly the farther from the city centre you get. Somewhere like Milltown, Stillorgan or Clonskeagh would be significantly closer, but this would be reflected in the price. Anywhere with good transport links. Even somewhere like Rialto, which would be 'by Dublin standards' affordable enough, is connected to UCD by the 18 bus.

Nearby though, if possible, I'd go for Clonskeagh, Milltown, Stillorgan, or Sandymount. I'd avoid Ranelagh (overpriced) and Rathmines (overpriced and grotty - grand for a student, not so much for a mature one). All easily cycleable, and she could save a bit on transport costs. Close enough to college and town to have a bit of a social life too. College ain't all about work! She'll need to blow off a bit of steam as well. ;)

Perhaps put an ad up of daft, looking for other mature students in the same boat? I'm pretty sure there are house share threads on this site too. Do a search and see what comes up? I'd let her sign up and ask herself though. Although I know where you're coming from on this thread, she'd probably be best representing herself with potential housemates. :)

Ok Great . thanks for all the info. I will pass it on to her.

• Advertisement

Advertisement