Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject level (advice)

Options
  • 08-07-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Im 26 and returned to school to do my LC, I have the 1st year out of the way or 5th even. My subjects are English(OL) Irish(OL) Maths(OL) History(OL) B.Studies(HL) Biology(HL) and DCG(HL).
    At the minute thats what I think I am comfortable doing.

Is it a big jump to do History and English Higher Level, would i be ready for it if i put a lot of work in from September on? What sort of work would i have to put into these 2 subjects to know if I am fit for HL?

Is there any good links for LC History?
    I know my English is fine, so i think :) but in exam situation its different, I want to be confident sitting this exam!!

Any advice please from recent LC students, ones who done very well A1s and so on. I would be happy to get anything above C3 but obviously i want an A1 lol :D
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pickyournumber

I did history this year and I found

leavingcerthistory.net

A good site,

If you going to do HL history why not try HL english?

There is a v big jump from higher to ordinary level History.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to your subject teachers when you go back. They're really the ones best placed to know what levels you should enter for.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

I know they well advise but it's hard to know, I did ok in just summer exams and class/ end of unit exams, but leaving cert exams I don't know, I'm just posting a thread here to see if any other students have the experience of jumping from OL to HL and the work load they put in, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

You should remember that the Leaving Cert isn't especially different from other exams. You've likely already done many previous exam questions. The main difference is that you have to know everything at the one time but if you've been doing okay in class tests, you should be capable of that.

The biggest difference between HL and OL English is the prescribed poetry. You need to know ~6 poems for at least 5 poets. Most teachers do six though. You get a statement to discuss regarding the poet's work rather than a single poem. There is no work printed on the page. There are 8 poets on the course, and 4 show up on the paper.

Other things to note are that the Comparative modes are probably different and you are generally expected to produce slightly lengthier pieces of work. What I mean by that is that there are often many subparts at OL, whereas you generally have one question to answer at HL. Compare The Single Text or Prescribed Poetry from both papers this year to see what I mean. You also need to cover a Shakespearean work either in The Single Text or The Comparative but that is not necessary at OL. Most opt to do it as their Single Text.

I'd encourage anyone to give HL English a go if they're willing to put a little bit of effort in. My only concern is that you may not have enough work covered so far, especially in terms of the poets, but if you really want to do it, you definitely could but I think that it would require a lot of work to get up to HL standard.

To note, I didn't switch levels so I can't help you with that unfortunately.:(

Advertisement