Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contact from Ireland to Thailand and visa versa with mobile phone

Options
  • 08-07-2015 12:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

if someone texts my mobile from ireland whilst in in thailand will my phone get the text, what if i send a text from thailand to that persons phone in ireland, also the same query regarding calls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

if someone texts my mobile from ireland whilst in in thailand will my phone get the text, what if i send a text from thailand to that persons phone in ireland, also the same query regarding calls?

Yes, if your phone provided has a roaming agreement in Thailand. Best to check their website and also check costs, receiving calls while roaming can be expensive, there is no charge to receive texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Yes, if your phone provided has a roaming agreement in Thailand. Best to check their website and also check costs, receiving calls while roaming can be expensive, there is no charge to receive texts.

Even if there is an agreement, no guarantee of signal there whilst roaming in Thailand specifically. Speaking from experience with both Vodafone & Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If your sending a text from Thailand you will need to be sure that you have the numbers set to international dialing format eg 00 353 8 xxxxxxx and not just the 08x xxxxxxx piece or they will not send.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

any way i can receive incoming texts straight to my email, webtext is handy for sending texts but you cant receive texts with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Get a local SIM card while there:
    http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Thailand

You can keep your Whatsapp number and also people can text your Thai number without problems.

Much cheaper too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If your sending a text from Thailand you will need to be sure that you have the numbers set to international dialing format eg 00 353 8 xxxxxxx and not just the 08x xxxxxxx piece or they will not send.

Use the +353 8 xxx format to be 100% certain that it will work. Not every country uses '00' as a prefix for international dialling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

What about when people send me texts from ireland when I am in Thailand? Do they have to use an international code also? or can they just send as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

What about when people send me texts from ireland when I am in Thailand? Do they have to use an international code also? or can they just send as normal?
    If they are sending it to an Irish number then they just do as normal. No need for an international prefix

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Send as normal, call as normal, cost as if you are in Ireland for them but you will pay to receive the text and the call from them.

Send as normal, call as normal, cost as if you are in Ireland for them but you will pay to receive the text and the call from them.

It doesn't cost extra to receive a text when roaming.

When roaming it's usually best to forward all voice calls to voicemail just before you depart and record a new voice greeting telling people you will be abroad and to send you an SMS message rather than leave a voice mess age as it will cost you money to retrieve your voicemail.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    It doesn't cost extra to receive a text when roaming.

When roaming it's usually best to forward all voice calls to voicemail just before you depart and record a new voice greeting telling people you will be abroad and to send you an SMS message rather than leave a voice mess age as it will cost you money to retrieve your voicemail.

That also costs you money:

http://support.meteor.ie/article/cost-to-use-voicemail-abroad
    You will also be charged if someone leaves you a voice message. To avoid these charges, you can cancel your call diverts before you travel. You can do this by dialling ##002# or by contacting us. - See more at: http://support.meteor.ie/article/cost-to-use-voicemail-abroad#sthash.50OjgRat.dpuf

Voicemail is just a call divert, so you are actually paying to call Ireland when that person rings your voicemail.

Meteor must the the only people to charge for leaving a voicemail when you have diverted all calls to voicemail.

Voicemail is just a call divert, so you are actually paying to call Ireland when that person rings your voicemail.

No you are not, If I'm in Thailand with an Irish mobile and I have all calls diverted to voice, my home network simply sends all my calls to my voice prompt and offers to record a message, there is no international traffic whatsoever so it costs me nothing. I only pay if I want to access those voice messages which clearly does involve a call home.

Meteor must the the only people to charge for leaving a voicemail when you have diverted all calls to voicemail.

No you are not, If I'm in Thailand with an Irish mobile and I have all calls diverted to voice, my home network simply sends all my calls to my voice prompt and offers to record a message, there is no international traffic whatsoever so it costs me nothing. I only pay if I want to access those voice messages which clearly does involve a call home.

Three also do the same:

http://community.three.ie/t5/Help-Support/Use-Voicemail-While-Roaming/ta-p/664286
    Costs

You may be charged more than usual to call your Voicemail when you are abroad. You may also be charged if someone leaves you a message.

You will get charged if someone leaves you a voice message after failing to get you while you're abroad and you haven't set call forwarding. If call forwarding is not switched on then every time someone calls you, your home network will go looking for you on the network where you're roaming. If that network can't find you because you're out of coverage or you don't answer, it will then divert the call back to your home network's voicemail, you will get charged for this missed call. I think that's what 3 mean by 'you may also be charged'.

You will get charged if someone leaves you a voice message after failing to get you while you're abroad and you haven't set call forwarding. If call forwarding is not switched on then every time someone calls you, your home network will go looking for you on the network where you're roaming. If that network can't find you because you're out of coverage or you don't answer, it will then divert the call back to your home network's voicemail, you will get charged for this missed call. I think that's what 3 mean by 'you may also be charged'.

Better just to get a local sim with data.

Advertisement