Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions around Galway

Options
  • 07-07-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I am planning to visit Galway for 2 days in July 3rd week. I live in Dublin and would like to drive from Dublin to Galway by my own car. Thereafter, I want to do day trips from Galway to Cliffs of Moher and Connemara.

Can anybody please tell me how are the road conditions from Galway City to Cliffs of Moher and Connemara National Park? Are these narrow hilly roads? single-lane or double-lane? I have no prior experience of driving on hilly areas - if it's a difficult drive, I can probably book a bus tour.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dublin to Galway is Motorway as is the M 17 which takes you from Oranmore to Limerick. The N and R roads in the Burren and Connamara can be windy and a little hilly but by no means are they treacherous or dangerous and there are no mountain routes to encounter. There are a few roads towards Doolin which are as good as single lane but thats's the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

The roads around the Burren/Connamara aren't too bad. The worst thing about them at this time of year is getting stuck behind a bunch of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    The roads around the Burren/Connamara aren't too bad. The worst thing about them at this time of year is getting stuck behind a bunch of cycliststourists.

fixed that for you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

There's ongoing roadworks at Moycullen (unforgiveably long roadworks IMHO).
    So, if you're thinking of heading towards Clifden or Roundstone, instead of taking the N59 and getting stuck at the roadworks, you might be better off heading out the coast road R336 as far as Derroe and taking the mountain road across to Oughterard. Although this is a mountain road, the surface is ok but the scenery is stunning and well worth the detour. OR you can continue on the R336 to Maam Cross and rejoin the N59 there. You may actually save yourself some time too, depending on the time of day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agree with all the above.

But for all that, I would recommend doing bus tours anyway. You'll see more, because you can be looking at the scenery instead of the roads. And you don't waste time navigating etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dublin to Galway is Motorway as is the M 17 which takes you from Oranmore to Limerick. The N and R roads in the Burren and Connamara can be windy and a little hilly but by no means are they treacherous or dangerous and there are no mountain routes to encounter. There are a few roads towards Doolin which are as good as single lane but thats's the worst of it
    The road from Oranmore to Gort is still single carriageway, the M17/M18 motorway isn't scheduled to open until mid 2018.

Advertisement