Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving back again

Options
  • 07-07-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I returned from Australia last November after being sponsored since 2013.

Do I have any option to return to Australia on the same 457 visa, and renew it for the remainder, if I can secure a job again with the same company?

Are there other options open to me that I can use? Can I get a second 457 or can I apply for PR here? I have heard of state sponsorship before but don't know how it works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

if the same employer will sponsor you again, that's probably the easiest and fastest option. I'd imagine the old 457 would have expired.

instead of the 457, you could maybe get them to sponsor you for PR but that will be a more lengthy process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

lg123 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the old 457 would have expired..
    I had to look at this before (information may be out of date) and the 457 visa stay with the employee when they switch sponsors or take a break.
    Regardless of how many sponsors they used once the four years are up they have to move off the 457.
    Again this is all likely to have changed since i researched it last. Probably best to check the IMMI site or whatever it's called now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There's an online portal that can check your immigration status, it will tell you if the visa is still in force.

Unlikely though as even if a 457 visa is granted for 4 years the conditions are that with the exception of the 90 days you be in continuous employment with a nominating employer.

If you are to apply again from scratch with the same employer it shouldn't be a problem, as long as the employer abide by the rules of your first visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mandrake04 wrote: »
    There's an online portal that can check your immigration status, it will tell you if the visa is still in force.

Can you post this link, I've been looking for such a link with no success. The immi site can be cavernous at times.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

laser750 wrote: »
    Hi,

I returned from Australia last November after being sponsored since 2013.

Do I have any option to return to Australia on the same 457 visa, and renew it for the remainder, if I can secure a job again with the same company?

Are there other options open to me that I can use? Can I get a second 457 or can I apply for PR here? I have heard of state sponsorship before but don't know how it works?

Hi Laser,

If your sponsorship visa was granted in 2013, and if you still have the same job offer with the same employer, then your visa should still be valid and you can return to Australia on that visa. The visa is valid for 4 years so long as the employer is willing to keep you employed in that same job.

If however, you have a different role with the same company or have the same role with a different employer, then you would need to submit a new visa application. So you can apply for a second 457 visa and your 4 year period starts over again.

You can apply for a PR visa (such as the state sponsored migration visa) which is a points based visa. This will actually allow you to work for ANY employer you wish. The state sponsored visa requires that your occupation is on a particular state demand list. You are obliged to live and work in that state for the first 2 years. Thereafter, you can move anywhere else across Australia. You can work for any employer in your nominated state.

As you have been in Australia on a sponsorship visa since 2013 - not sure how long you are gone from there but the ENS visa might be an option for you to apply for as a PR visa too.

I am a registered agent so I can run through a free visa assessment with you if you wish.

Thanks,
    Declan Clune

Advertisement