Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

As close as we will get to private plate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That's interesting, so how do you get a low number like that since they started at 101? I presume a thousand euros changes hands for the privilege as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Clare and Cork have some good combos if you drive a Merc, Volvo or Citroen. I've seen a couple of them.

98-C-70 is on a 1998 Volvo C 70

XX-C-4 is on a Citroen C4 . (Can't remember the year)

and Clare is handy for Merc Coupe's e.g. XX-CE-320

I agree though that the government could make a lot of money off of private reg plates, it's not a compulsory tax so plenty of people would accept it. You could also do what Sweden does and just auction the numbers out for 10 years, making sure there will be a constant flow of revenue.

We could also reactivate the old numbers that weren't used, I think Kilkenny finished on UIP, so VIP would be available. It could be easily done, the car when it first enters the country gets a number like today 152-D-XXXX / 77-D-12XXXX, and this number will always stay with the car, but the owner can have a personal number for a few years.

It's so simple, its no wonder the government avoid doing it.

This is how the Swede's do it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Sweden#Personal_plates
    Personal plates[edit]
    In addition to the ordinary registration plate of three letters and three digits, you may have a personal registration plates. The personal registration plate works as an alias to the ordinary plate and can have (almost) any text or number combination up to seven characters, if it isn't used already. It costs 6000 kr (about 640 €) to get personal number for a vehicle. They are valid for ten years and may be moved to another vehicle. The approval sticker was placed to the left, not in the middle. Text too offensive or illegal is not allowed. For instance, the 64SALE number was not allowed, as the number 6 and the word "sex" are homonyms in the Swedish. A sticker declaring the alias relationship between the ordinary plate and the personal plate must be attached in one of the vehicle's windows. The above-mentioned limitation on allowed letters (I, Q, V, Å, Ä, Ö) do not apply to personal plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Is there not a 205 gti with the reg GTI 205 ? And even a mk1 golf gti with
    With the reg GTI 1, that's as good as it gets anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Is there not a 205 gti with the reg GTI 205 ? And even a mk1 golf gti with
    With the reg GTI 1, that's as good as it gets anywhere.

GTI 1, I think, was around the Limerick area in the mid 80s on a Golf GTi.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Yep it certainly cost, the number was booked well in advance. was not cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's an oddity alright. Does that mean the other numbers from 1 to 100 are also available to purchase? I just did a quick check, and couldn't find any others registered.

That's an oddity alright. Does that mean the other numbers from 1 to 100 are also available to purchase? I just did a quick check, and couldn't find any others registered.

You need to go down and apply at tax office. Doesn't seem to be a fix figure but if the number is there and available it takes a lot of forms back and forth then over a grand in bank draft. oh be very nice and polite others wise the answer is simple "No cant do, next please" well not exactly but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Red Kev wrote: »
    Clare and Cork have some good combos if you drive a Merc, Volvo or Citroen.

and Clare is handy for Merc Coupe's e.g. XX-CE-320

photo_zpscf0eaede.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

okistag wrote: »
    You need to go down and apply at tax office. Doesn't seem to be a fix figure but if the number is there and available it takes a lot of forms back and forth then over a grand in bank draft. oh be very nice and polite others wise the answer is simple "No cant do, next please" well not exactly but you get the idea.

Its not really a 'personalised' number plate tho', is it ? It belongs to the car, so unless you are actually going to keep the car forever, then the next owner will get the 'benefit', if there actually is a benefit.
    Is it really worth a thousand or more euro ?

Unless of course... you simply transfer the log book details to the next TR7 V8... now there's an idea !!!

Always hated the idea of a personalised plate, in my opinion a plate belongs to a car and in most cases a link to its past.
    Changing the plate like they do in the UK just takes some of the gloss off for me.

• Advertisement

swarlb wrote: »
    Its not really a 'personalised' number plate tho', is it ? It belongs to the car, so unless you are actually going to keep the car forever, then the next owner will get the 'benefit', if there actually is a benefit.
    Is it really worth a thousand or more euro ?

Unless of course... you simply transfer the log book details to the next TR7 V8... now there's an idea !!!

No its not a private plate by any means and hence why I said " What a superb registration for an original Triumph TR 8 such a pity we don't have private registrations here in Ireland but this is as close as it gets"

The cost is a personal thing really, the owner wanted it and he was willing to pay for it. Like everything the value of an item is what one is willing to pay for it. I agree it cannot be transferred to another vehicle but its unlikely he will sell the TR as he owns a number of wedges and this TR8 completed the collection.
    Transferring to another car would be illegal anyway, but I sure you were just joking. This TR is an genuine TR8 not a TR7 and hence another good reason for the number as they are rare beast.

Always hated the idea of a personalised plate, in my opinion a plate belongs to a car and in most cases a link to its past.
    Changing the plate like they do in the UK just takes some of the gloss off for me.

I don't disagree with you Kev1.3 but I would prefer private plate to 8 digit plate. Or private plate as in period etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

No ZVs less than 100 were issued to my knowledge.

Would be interesting to find out what the actual story is.

okistag wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you Kev1.3 but I would prefer private plate to 8 digit plate. Or private plate as in period etc.

I think if the local councils would issue age appropriate plates it would cut out a lot of ringing, aside from the ones who do it to save on vrt and also eliminate number plate snobbery.
    Leave the personalised plates to the footballers.

I think if the local councils would issue age appropriate plates it would cut out a lot of ringing, aside from the ones who do it to save on vrt and also eliminate number plate snobbery.
    Leave the personalised plates to the footballers.

yep agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I think personalised plates are a great idea, makes the twats and posers that much easier to identify

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I think personalised plates are a great idea, makes the twats and posers that much easier to identify

Now Now play nice :)

Well it was my experience whilst living in Australia that the sort of people who spend over a grand on Vanity plates wouldn't generally have the ssme outlook on life as myself

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Well it was my experience whilst living in Australia that the sort of people who spend over a grand on Vanity plates wouldn't generally have the ssme outlook on life as myself

When I lived in Aus I wouldn't pay $1000 for a car.

True, you can get a helluva lot of falcon for 500 bucks, at a grand yer in the top end of the market

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No ZVs less than 100 were issued to my knowledge.

Would be interesting to find out what the actual story is.

;);)

jca wrote: »
    ;);)

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

there's 07-C-15900 on an Alfa 159 estate and 08-C-911 on 911 here in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

jca wrote: »
    ;);)

nod-nod-wink-wink ?
    not-what-you-know-it's-who-you-know?
    Thats how he got 'ZV 8' ?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Silvera wrote: »
    nod-nod-wink-wink ?
    not-what-you-know-it's-who-you-know?
    Thats how he got 'ZV 8' ?;)

Got it in one!!! Give that man the prize.....Oh wait it's already been given to someone else....nod nod wink wink....repeat as required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Had a bmw 318 coupe a few years ago the reg was 88 ww 318 i loved the car but the engine was gone when i was getting rid of it i got good money for it because of reg tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

jayo26 wrote: »
    Had a bmw 318 coupe a few years ago the reg was 88 ww 318 i loved the car but the engine was gone when i was getting rid of it i got good money for it because of reg tho.

It's now an Opel Ascona !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

hi5 wrote: »
    That's interesting, so how do you get a low number like that since they started at 101? I presume a thousand euros changes hands for the privilege as well.

And then again it could be just a show plate....

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    And then again it could be just a show plate....

No, it's registered.

https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=zv8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

swarlb wrote: »
    It's now an Opel Ascona !!

Sorry my bad it was 316 with 88ww316 reg :) how do u check? Love to see if its still on road or what happened it.

Advertisement