Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in September as a mature student

Options
  • 07-07-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

How's everyone? So I got my official CAO offer for a BA in Community and Youth Work and really looking forward to getting started!! I'd like to get a bit of insight into what the place is like to study in, what there is to do, how it is for mature students, and so forth. Incidentally, this is the first time I'll be doing a third level course. Right now I've got no specific questions, but would ye be able to give me some quick general impressions of the place? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Quite a while since I was there, and I was only barely mature on paper...

NUIM prides itself on 'what it's like' for mature students. Get stuck in. Suck all you can out of the experience. Plenty of supports if you feel a bit overwhelmed. Which you might, but probably won't.

Top tip: There's a lovely area behind St Patrick's on the old campus. A little contemplation garden. Just beyond that, behind Logic House (music & maths) there's a little veggie garden. If you do start to feel a bit lost, it's a great spot to take a little wande and sit. Especially on a sunny exam-laden day.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

How's everyone? So I got my official CAO offer for a BA in Community and Youth Work and really looking forward to getting started!! I'd like to get a bit of insight into what the place is like to study in, what there is to do, how it is for mature students, and so forth. Incidentally, this is the first time I'll be doing a third level course. Right now I've got no specific questions, but would ye be able to give me some quick general impressions of the place? Cheers![/quote

Guess we're gonna be classmates for 3 years lol accepted my place on the community and youth work course to. There is a load of clubs and societies you can join and from what my mates have said already there there's fantastic support for mature students

• Registered Users Posts: 8 markk0719

Hi Ive just finished in Maynooth and loved it there. I started on the morning of my 40th birthday so I guess that made me a mature student. Here are some tips for you:

1. You are a student. Not a mature student. Dont try and differentiate yourself as there really is no need.

2. Make friends - especially with younger students. They will give you a great perspective and generally my experience is that all my classmates were pretty fantastic.

3. Do not try to do your degree in isolation. Again, with friends and your classmates you can share ideas about courses and essays and get some good insights. Also working with people can enhance your awareness of key aspects of your classes. Do not think for a second that you are in competition with anyone in your class.

Other than that enjoy.

Advertisement