Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prague to Lake Bled?

Options
  • 06-07-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Has anyone done this route before and be able to give some information?
    Seems quite long and very complicated! 14hrs by google maps public transport!

Not entirely sure where to book tickets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

See if you can get to the capital Ljubljana by rail from Prague and then it might be better to go to Bled by bus. The railway network in Slovenia is not as efficient as road travel for most journeys - years of under-investment and lots of mountains. I was there in 2002 and went everywhere by bus because the advice from every source I consulted was to avoid rail travel altogether, I can't imagine they've spent a few billions to upgrade the network and rolling stock since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ktr

coylemj wrote: »
    See if you can get to the capital Ljubljana by rail from Prague and then it might be better to go to Bled by bus. The railway network in Slovenia is not as efficient as road travel for most journeys - years of under-investment and lots of mountains. I was there in 2002 and went everywhere by bus because the advice from every source I consulted was to avoid rail travel altogether, I can't imagine they've spent a few billions to upgrade the network and rolling stock since.

This route is takes like 16 hours :O

Going via Munich seems quicker by about...5 hours. Doesn't seem a whole lot of a difference really

See if you can get a cheap flight to Ljubljana and then go by bus. Slovenian rail network is to be avoided, trains are dog slow and stop in every village.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

At a quick glance:
    1. Train from Prague via Vienna to Ljubljana. OR
    2. Train from Prague via Munich to Ljubljana.

When in Ljubljana contact a local bus company for a guided tour to Lake Bled.
    One bus operator: http://www.slovenia-explorer.com They 'could' collect you at your hotel. Ask when boooking.

For information on trains: http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml One cannot book from this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ktr

John C wrote: »
    At a quick glance:
    1. Train from Prague via Vienna to Ljubljana. OR
    2. Train from Prague via Munich to Ljubljana.

I just found the night train to vienna from prague, think i'l go for that!
    Thank you!!

• Advertisement

John C wrote: »
    When in Ljubljana contact a local bus company for a guided tour to Lake Bled.
    One bus operator: http://www.slovenia-explorer.com They 'could' collect you at your hotel. Ask when boooking.

There are scheduled buses between Ljubljana and Bled, I did the round trip by bus twice when I was there. Once you get to Bled you can walk everywhere, including around the lake and up to the castle. When at the far side of the lake from the town (go anti-clockwise around the lake,) you can rent a boat and row out to the island. If you're lucky there will be a wedding on in the little church on the island. You don't need to use an excursion (tourist) bus which would be a lot more expensive than going independent.

Advertisement