Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please, working hours

Options
  • 06-07-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I posting on behalf of a friend. Employer is extracting the urine with working hours!

Details;
    They started a new job Oct 14. In their contract there is a clause stating "normal work hours are 9am -5.30pm and that I agree to give 'generously of my time for the good of the company' should the work require it". Now tahts all well and good and nowadays we all work a few hours more and thats just the nature of the beast. I do on average 45-50 hrs per week and I have no problem with that.

My friend starts work on average 9am every morning and doesnt leave until at least 7.30pm every evening. They are required to be on call all weekend and even last this weekend just past worked 6 hours on saturday and was working til 12.30am this morning.

And all of this is deemed acceptable by their employer.

Please any advice, my friend is miserable and it is having a serious affect on their life.

I know a lot of you will say just quit, but that isnt an option at present.

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Phone call to Workplace Relations: anything over 48 hours/week on average is illegal.

I'd be careful about any contract that included "give generously ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8 demowil

Phone call to Workplace Relations: anything over 48 hours/week on average is illegal.

I'd be careful about any contract that included "give generously ..."

Thanks for the feedback, I looked at your site, lots of great info there. Thank you.

Advertisement