Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling my holiday - need to book a new one

Options
  • 06-07-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Long story short is I'm supposed to be going on a family (2 adults and 2 kids aged 10 and 14) holiday on Thursday but a close family member is seriously ill (in intensive care) and it looks like I'll have to cancel the holiday as I'm needed here.

I'm the sort of person who books well in advance and takes advantage of early booking discounts and loyalty schemes etc so the original cost of my 3 week holiday (ferry and campsite) was €2,800 and after excess I'll probably get around €2,500 back from the travel insurers.

If in 3-4 weeks time the situation has improved and my relation is making good progress towards recovery (or we've had a funeral) I'd still like to take the family away for a holiday using the €2,500 we've gotten back from the insurers.

It's unlikely we'll get 3 weeks in and I really don't want to do the whole load the car with bikes and roof rack -> ferry -> 7 hour drive - > campsite thing unless it's for 3 weeks so I guess I'd be looking for some sort of last minute or short notice 2 week package holiday to the sun last week of July or early August depending on how things turn out.

Can anyone give me a steer as to how best prepare / research / identify any such family holiday deals which may exist as relatively short notice? It may not be too PC but I'd probably consider Tunisia as they are bound to be losing trade as a result of the terrible beach massacre. I've been there before and enjoyed it but it was 15 years ago. I personally am a contrarian and my reason for considering Tunisia is threefold:-

1. They need support and for people to show that the terrorist ba$tards won't prevent tourists from visiting their country.

2. Tourist related security is going to be at an all time high. There has probably never been a safer time to visit than now/next few weeks.

3. They will probably be offering great deals just to get the industry moving again.

Apologies, the Tunisia thing is just a distraction. I'm open to going anywhere within a 4 hour flight time which has sunshine and good food basically!!

Is there a Bargain Alerts for last minute package holidays anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I'll be honest, if I hadn't already booked a holiday and if my wife wasn't such a worrier, I'd look at Tunisia for precisely the reasons you state above.

I don't think it's anything to do with political correctness. I'd see it as solidarity in the face of cowardly attacks on the people of Tunisia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I'd be surprised if you get the money back that fast. I claimed once because I broke my arm and it took them a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I would be very surprised if you got the insurance money within 3 weeks......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

smurfjed wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if you got the insurance money within 3 weeks......

Don't need the money in hand before going on the other holiday. Just need to know I'm getting it back at some stage!!

Advertisement