Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 06-07-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi guys finally got my Plc results today 6 distinctions and 3 merits and 1 pass. I want to do nursing but I don't think I will get it with these results. I have the 5 min distinctions in the right subjects. I have appealed the merits but they won't be back until September.

Will the appeals entitle me to anything in sept or am I fecked? Please I need answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dilly83

idek1 wrote: »
    Hi guys finally got my Plc results today 6 distinctions and 3 merits and 1 pass. I want to do nursing but I don't think I will get it with these results. I have the 5 min distinctions in the right subjects. I have appealed the merits but they won't be back until September.

Will the appeals entitle me to anything in sept or am I fecked? Please I need answers

Well done on your results. As far as I know it really depends on what colleges you have applied for on your CAO, how many detached places the colleges have. I would try calling or emailing CAO re the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

You need to talk to your college or centre as they are the people who handle your appeal. If they are not available then contact QQI who are responsible for FETAC awards. The CAO has nothing to do with your appeal. Bear in mind that for Nursing it is most likely that you will need 8 distinctions given the competition for places.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭idek1

You need to talk to your college or centre as they are the people who handle your appeal. If they are not available then contact QQI who are responsible for FETAC awards. The CAO has nothing to do with your appeal. Bear in mind that for Nursing it is most likely that you will need 8 distinctions given the competition for places.

ah feck, ya i have appealed them already cost me 120euro to do so. i have met the minimum requirements though so im just wondering would i still have a chance or is it out of my hands now? (i also have 350 leaving points, would nursing drop that much? considering the drop in nursing applicants?)

i'm quite gutted actually, this will be the 2nd year in a row i dont get nursing when it's the only job i want. I'm unable to do ucas because of health reasons (require weekly injections from my gp, have inquired and without my medical card in the uk it would be crazy money). i just dont know what to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

ah feck, ya i have appealed them already cost me 120euro to do so. i have met the minimum requirements though so im just wondering would i still have a chance or is it out of my hands now? (i also have 350 leaving points, would nursing drop that much? considering the drop in nursing applicants?)

i'm quite gutted actually, this will be the 2nd year in a row i dont get nursing when it's the only job i want. I'm unable to do ucas because of health reasons (require weekly injections from my gp, have inquired and without my medical card in the uk it would be crazy money). i just dont know what to do
    Maybe you should think of alternatives, such as care assistant. I teach on a pre-nursing course, and the reality is that the competition is so tough that often people who get eight distinctions don't get places on nursing courses. Some of them apply to the UK, and others divert off into care assistant or special needs assistant.

It sounds like you're struggling with some of the academic side if your result hasn't been ideal two years in a row, so it might be the best thing to think about alternatives, because you might struggle with the subjects at third level.

A care assistant can be just as satisfying as nursing, and you can get a job directly from Level 5 or 6

katydid wrote: »
    Maybe you should think of alternatives, such as care assistant. I teach on a pre-nursing course, and the reality is that the competition is so tough that often people who get eight distinctions don't get places on nursing courses. Some of them apply to the UK, and others divert off into care assistant or special needs assistant.

It sounds like you're struggling with some of the academic side if your result hasn't been ideal two years in a row, so it might be the best thing to think about alternatives, because you might struggle with the subjects at third level.

A care assistant can be just as satisfying as nursing, and you can get a job directly from Level 5 or 6

When I mean I didn't get it two years I a row I referring to my leaving and if I don't get An. Offer now after the fetac. I'm well able academically thanks very much it's just I'm 5 points off the course I want. I worked as a care assistant in July but would much rather work with children as in be a childrens nurse

• Advertisement

When I mean I didn't get it two years I a row I referring to my leaving and if I don't get An. Offer now after the fetac. I'm well able academically thanks very much it's just I'm 5 points off the course I want. I worked as a care assistant in July but would much rather work with children as in be a childrens nurse

Sorry, I misunderstood. I didn't mean to cast aspersions on your academic ability; I just assumed you meant you had done the course twice.

I was just trying to be helpful, pardon me...

Sorry, I misunderstood. I didn't mean to cast aspersions on your academic ability; I just assumed you meant you had done the course twice.

I was just trying to be helpful, pardon me...

No forgive me my wording of that last post came across very snotty now that I reread it, I appreciate all your help

No forgive me my wording of that last post came across very snotty now that I reread it, I appreciate all your help

It's ok...

I can understand that you're upset. I see the pressure on my students, and how much they go through. Basically, even with eight distinctions, you are in competition with other people with high LC marks, so it's very hard. If you think you can do better in the subjects you didn't get distinctions in, would it be worth repeating the course? You can't combine the two years, as far as I know, but might be worth a try if you really want to do it.

It's ok...

I can understand that you're upset. I see the pressure on my students, and how much they go through. Basically, even with eight distinctions, you are in competition with other people with high LC marks, so it's very hard. If you think you can do better in the subjects you didn't get distinctions in, would it be worth repeating the course? You can't combine the two years, as far as I know, but might be worth a try if you really want to do it.

Im praying to God my course goes down by the 5 points I'm short of.. If it doesn't I might do a level 7 (social care) then perhaps apply as a mature when I'm 23 (im just turned 18 now). Repeating just isn't an option for me I personally didn't have a great experience in my local Plc college and can't afford to travel without a grant (can only get a grant again if I,m advancing)

Maybe I'm just bitter but I feel that experience should be taken into account when applying for a course.. I know a few people who are currently doing nursing just for the degree and have no interest..

Im praying to God my course goes down by the 5 points I'm short of.. If it doesn't I might do a level 7 (social care) then perhaps apply as a mature when I'm 23 (im just turned 18 now). Repeating just isn't an option for me I personally didn't have a great experience in my local Plc college and can't afford to travel without a grant (can only get a grant again if I,m advancing)

Maybe I'm just bitter but I feel that experience should be taken into account when applying for a course.. I know a few people who are currently doing nursing just for the degree and have no interest..

Sure, experience is good, but in fairness, school leavers don't have the chance to get experience. They should have the same chance as other school leavers in getting onto a third level course. The whole system needs to be changed so that people are interviewed for third level courses, like they are in the UK.

Applying as a mature student would be a good idea.

The experience you get on a Fetac course should indeed be a factor in getting on a course, along with the eight distinctions, but that's not the way the system works, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement