Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber cladding on metal gate--pressure treated options?

Options
  • 06-07-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

What are the various timber options for cladding a metal gate?

I'd prefer pressure treated timber, all I can find is Spruce & Pine which isn't that pretty for a large side gate

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Iroko is the best choice by far -if you have the facilities to work it. Otherwise you can clean up the pressure treated wood and paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

recipio wrote: »
    Iroko is the best choice by far -if you have the facilities to work it. Otherwise you can clean up the pressure treated wood and paint it.

Is Iroko difficult to work with?

I got some prices on Iroko (€67 m2 plus vat) and Akoya (€70 m2 plus vat)...seemed a bit on the high side.

Is Iroko difficult to work with?

I got some prices on Iroko (€67 m2 plus vat) and Akoya (€70 m2 plus vat)...seemed a bit on the high side.

That seems a bit high. From memory I got some in Chadwicks last year for about 50 euro/cubic ft.
    Accoya is a synthetic wood which claims to be good for outdoors furniture and boat decks. I wouldn't think its worth paying for unless it was pre-machined.
    I'm going to assume you have access to a table saw and planer/thicknesser ?
    The dust from Iroko is like pepper in the air so extraction is strongly advised.
    Also, it varies from a golden sheen to a chocolate brown colour. Its worth getting the planks from a single batch of wood to keep the colour uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

recipio wrote: »
    ?
    The dust from Iroko is like pepper in the air so extraction is strongly advised.
    A

n Rarely – extrinsic allergic alveolitis (a disease with
    ‘flu-like’ symptoms which can cause progressive
    lung damage), eg when using western red cedar
    or iroko.
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Hi also interested in knowing what is available for outdoor use, Is cedar or larch a good option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 flush1

kiln dried iroko is the best choice by far.you will be lucky to get it for 50euro a cube,it is constantly rising in price

Still sold as 'teak- iroko' in many shops,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP doesn't say how big the gate is and what the steel structure is: 1" iroka will be very heavy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

OP doesn't say how big the gate is and what the steel structure is: 1" iroka will be very heavy

Agreed, but it should come as 25mm in the rough which will get you 22mm (or less) planed + thicknessed.

Advertisement