Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japan Rail pass

• 06-07-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a rail pass for an upcoming trip to Japan but not sure what site to buy from. My guess is they are mainly legit sites, especially the google adwords ones, that operate like an affiliate site but just wondering if anyone would recommend one in particular?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If you're worried about wesbites, you can get your rail pass from a Usit office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm in the same position, are USIT the best guys to get this from or recommend a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

i actually bought from these guys in the end. Had the tickets within about 3 days. Think they fed ex them from the UK
    https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/?currency-code=EUR&ap=b6021as&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoYi4BRDF_PHHu6rI7NMBEiQAKZ-JuEGgb4-chnLJkTLJInGXtbk3-0b3XTrkQ-RU2hoc5K0aAoGt8P8HAQ

I've run a few JR price searches using http://www.hyperdia.com/ and it seems that it's cheaper for me to just buy the tickets in Japan for each rail fare, rather than getting a 1 week JR pass?

e.g.

Tokyo -> Shinjuku : €2
    Shinjuku -> Kyoto: €65.64
    Kyoto -> Arashiyama (and back): €4
    Kyoto -> Osaka: €5
    Osaka -> Nara (and back): €13
    Osaka -> Mt Koya (and back): €24

Total: €113.64

vs: €230 for a 1 week pass

Is it really worth paying the extra for the JR Pass when it really isn't a saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Unless the person, a (foreigner) and a 3 ~2~1 week train enthusiast, the JR pass is of little value other than a daily hop on/off planned trip on the Golden Routes

• Advertisement

There was mention that buying rail tickets is a bit of a hassle if you are new to it (one of the benefits of the JR pass is you don't need to worry about this).

What's so difficult about buying rail tickets manually? Can I not just go to a booth and say "Ōsaka e no chiketto 1-mai kudasai" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Can I not just go to a booth and say "Ōsaka e no chiketto 1-mai kudasai" ?

You can go to a ticket office and say what you have written above but I question would they understand what you want.

A Kippu and a Chiketto in a distinctive mode of pronunciation !!!.... for example a Liverpool accent could have the ticket clerk pointing at his/her nose with two index fingers. Just ask for your destination in English.

shindig-jp wrote: »
    for example a Liverpool accent could have the ticket clerk pointing at his/her nose with two index fingers.

lol, what does 2 index fingers pointed at the nose signify?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got the week ticket when I was there, I think it was better value for me I as I'd a few very expensive trips by themselves and a lot of hopping on and off.

Pen and paper, people generally have better written english than spoken.

Varik wrote: »
    Got the week ticket when I was there, I think it was better value for me I as I'd a few very expensive trips by themselves and a lot of hopping on and off.

Pen and paper, people generally have better written english than spoken.

Seems to be cheaper for me to buy there individually.

I think JR pass is only good for lots of long distance trips.

My total trip for the week is €100 less than the JR pass for the week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement