Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bourke, Tobias born 17 Apr 1870

Options
  • 06-07-2015 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

According to FS's extracted births/baptisms, he was born on the above date. Also RootsIreland has the civil birth record showing the same date.

So why would the baptism record not be on the parish register? The register has only 2 baptisms for month of April 1870.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

where exactly was he born - not all Co. Tipperary parishes are available on RootsIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Shane,
    He was born in Emly, Co. Tipp with transcriptions on Roots and images on Ancestry. Thx

I presume since that's a civil birth then Emly is the registration sub-district, based on the extracted birth Tipperary is the district . Is there a townland named on the civil birth ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

montgo wrote: »
    So why would the baptism record not be on the parish register? The register has only 2 baptisms for month of April 1870.

Which parish register is it not on?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, Lisobyhane.

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Which parish register is it not on?

Hermy, Emly Parish records on Ancestry. Thx

Hermy, Emly Parish records on Ancestry. Thx

I'm not sure about Anc. assignment of parish records - quite a few are listed under the wrong parishes, and I dont think they have a source list, so no way to tell exactly what they have.

p.s. RC parish of Emly is under Co. Limerick on RootsIreland source list

shanew wrote: »
    I not sure about Anc. assignment of parish records - quite a few are listed under the wrong parishes, and I dont think they have a source list, so no way to tell exactly what they have.

p.s. RC parish of Emly is under Co. Limerick on RootsIreland

Thanks Shane, I will check the actual Parish records on NLI/NAI images when they are released very soon (fingers tightly crossed).

I've had no problems with the Ancestry records for Emly apart from the usual transcriptions errors and the earlier years do not show images of the Parish register.

Yes, from what I can recall, in Roots, all the early church records are under Limerick but all the civil records are in Co. Tipp. It was really confusing when I first started researching this parish.

the NLI index does not mention any gaps in Emly records - the records seem to be in two volumes, c1810 to May 1839, and the second from 1839 to 1880.

shanew wrote: »
    the NLI index does not mention any gaps in Emly records - the records seem to be in two volumes, c1810 to May 1839, and the second from 1839 to 1880.

Yes, there are no gaps that I know of. It is actually must easier to read the images on Ancestry rather the actual the Parish Register thankfully.

• Advertisement

I see the two baptisms you mentioned for April - looks like the correct register to me, as it mentions Emly in several addresses. Maybe Tobias was baptised in a chapel of ease and a note never made into the parish register, or he was baptised in a neighbouring parish for some reason ... was he their first child ?

Where does the extracted birth/Baptisms records originate?

Yes, maybe he was baptised at home following complications at birth and then it wasn't entered on to the register. He had one older sister born in 1868 and then younger siblings, all baptised & recorded on the Parish register.

Where does the extracted birth/Baptisms records originate?

Yes, maybe he was baptised at home following complications at birth and then it wasn't entered on to the register. He had one older sister born in 1868 and then younger siblings, all baptised & recorded on the Parish register.

the bulk of the extracted records are from civil registers, like the one for Tobias, but the are also some parish records in that collection.

One other possible scenario to check - the civil birth may be a late registration with an 'adjusted' date of birth given, so maybe the baptism could have been a while before April.

thx again, Shane.

I already checked forward but will check backwards for 3/4 months again (sister born Dec 1868) in case there was a transcription error.
    Cheers

Advertisement