Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church of England Clergy

Options
  • 06-07-2015 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/

This database has just become available although still incomplete, they are still working on it, but might be of interest to anyone with CoE clergy in the family. Be warned, the instructions on the site regarding using the database, are like many a sermon I have heard, convoluted!

“The Clergy of the Church of England Database 1540-1835 (CCEd), launched in 1999 and funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, makes available and searchable the principal records of clerical careers from over 50 archives in England and Wales with the aim of providing coverage of as many clerical lives as possible from the Reformation to the mid-nineteenth century...."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/

This database has just become available although still incomplete, they are still working on it, but might be of interest to anyone with CoE clergy in the family. Be warned, the instructions on the site regarding using the database, are like many a sermon I have heard, convoluted!

“The Clergy of the Church of England Database 1540-1835 (CCEd), launched in 1999 and funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, makes available and searchable the principal records of clerical careers from over 50 archives in England and Wales with the aim of providing coverage of as many clerical lives as possible from the Reformation to the mid-nineteenth century...."

Very good; just a pity it 's only England and Wales. I wonder is there a CoI equivalent?

Here's a database for Irish RC bishops:

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/bie.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I haven't seen anything online for Church of Ireland Clergy but the RCB Library will have records. I came across a book 'Clergy of Dublin & Glendalough" by James Leslie, more recently revised by W. J. R. Wallace. Wallace also published "Clergy of Meath & Kildare Biographical Succession Lists". But as I say the RCB should (hopefully) have a lot more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mod9maple wrote: »
    Here's a database for Irish RC bishops:

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/bie.html

Slightly (albeit only slightly!) less likely for people to be descended from them than a CoE clergyman though :pac:

True, but they'd get as far as being uncles! And brothers. And nephews. And sons. Etc etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I have access to some details for CofI clergy, Diocese of Dublin, Kildare & Leighlin, Lismore etc - plus the basic Thom's directory lists covering 1848 on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I have several CoE clergymen in a collateral line so I checked the site’s info on a few. It is a good asset but care is needed in using it. It is for clerical careers rather than family genealogy, although some family data can be given.

Firstly - important to note when searching by surname - the Index has standardised the spelling of my surname to just one of the five different spellings used in the records. However, the search function does not use soundex - so it will not pick up any of the other four variations if one is used in a search. The “Forename” (odd that “Christian name” is not used for clergymen?) is recorded in Latin and English, depending on the source, but searchable only in the English version (although Petrus does show up:confused:). Dates also have been standardised to the “new style” calendar.

My most senior cleric's info was succinct – where he studied, dates of MA, BD and DD but not his BA. (In comparison, his detail in Alumni Oxonienses is considerably better.) The site gives his date of ordination & by whom; there was no DoB, it missed out on a few (historically important) roles; it had very little info under the “Comments” tab. It did give the ID number for his clergyman father (not hotlinked), but does not identify his brother or cousin, also clergymen, who are on the site. It did not list any of his publications.

Annoyingly, after entering data, if you hit “enter” instead of clicking on the “search” button you will get an error message – “Please enter a valid ID in the textbox”

It is nice to have data free, and online, but it’s a bit unwieldy and not very user friendly. A good source for a starting point for further research e.g. university records, parish registers of where he served for baptism of his own children, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Annoyingly, after entering data, if you hit “enter” instead of clicking on the “search” button you will get an error message – “Please enter a valid ID in the textbox”

Useful information - thank you.:)
    (In comparison, his detail in Alumni Oxonienses is considerably better.)

This too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Convoluted, in more ways than one. Having re-read my original post I see my error. I said 'just become available' but also 'launched in 1999'. Not sure where I heard that it was recent.

Advertisement