Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know when you're an addict (golf)....

Options
  • 05-07-2015 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭

...When you've been up since 5 for a 7:15 start and you're hanging back in the house waiting for the course to open.

...When you book that early slot so you'll be home to see the final day of the Ladies Masters.

So go on, tales of addiction anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Lol, same here. Waiting for a 7:34 tee off. Was the only tee time I could get on shortish notice and not playing at all is (obviously) not an option. Sign of addiction right there. Will probably catch another couple of hours of sleep after the round. Probably on the couch 'watching' either the ladies or the French Open.

Beautiful out there now. Wet from tonights rain, but morning sun breaking through. In a away the best part of the day. Course will be how I like it most.

You can see I'm not one for much preparation, I'm a last minute man. I'm lucky though as I can make it from this very kitchen stool onto the first tee in about 5 mins if I have to. Good luck with the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

- When you stop wearing normal clothes on your days off cause more than likely at least a few holes of golf will be played

- All of your pants have a tee in the pocket

- You've played in thunder storms cause you know if you didnt it would be 2 full weeks without golf

-your clubs are always in the boot 'just incase'

- your known to start taking practise swings with invisible club at and setting and possibly mid conversation about something not even related to golf

-when 405 is wore off the buttons on your sky remote

- even when not golfing or watching the tour your looking at golf videos on youtube

- checking this forum religiously incase you miss some big golf news

- when you judge distances by golf clubs...its only a SW away

- when you play a round of golf in ypur head as you lie in bed at night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

You pack in your good job, remortgage your house and live on 50c noodles for 3 years to try and work in the industry !

Do I hear any violins ?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

You pack in your good job, remortgage your house and live on 50c noodles for 3 years to try and work in the industry !

Do I hear any violins ?

J

Good things come to those who wait (and put in the hard work), eh, John!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

When you're walking through the office imagining hitting a high draw to the desk at the back left corner.

When the washing machine always gets cloged up with Tees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

PARlance wrote: »
    ...When you've been up since 5 for a 7:15 start and you're hanging back in the house waiting for the course to open.
    Boskowski wrote: »
    Lol, same here. Waiting for a 7:34 tee off.

Lads, lads, 7.15, 7.34... try 6.35am in the pouring rain for the Captain's Prize (y'day), with an hour's drive to get to the course from home, having got to my bed till after midnight after playing Portmarnock that afternoon.

Got back to the clubhouse in time to wish my mate good luck as he headed for his 10am tee time.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Lads, lads, 7.15, 7.34... try 6.35am in the pouring rain for the Captain's Prize (y'day), with an hour's drive to get to the course from home, having got to my bed till after midnight after playing Portmarnock that afternoon.

Got back to the clubhouse in time to wish my mate good luck as he headed for his 10am tee time.
    Living the dream kevin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

When you actually bring your golf clubs on the "golf" holiday to Thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

^^Absolutely love it^^
    Hate noodles though.......

Getting to the course at first light to play a few before work..... maybe 3 holes... as the mornings get brighter getting a full 18 in..... working a 12 hour shift in the industry and playing 9 on the way home.......

Seeing a nice piece of land and constantly thinking how many holes I could squeeze on it if I owned it.

Being brought up on golf courses and worked at nothing else all my life. And not wanting to change a thing.

The buzz you get from hitting "the" shot.... the abject misery from not hitting "the" shot....

The genuine buzz when your nephew text to say he's broken the course record......again.....

That nervous energy standing the first off your favourite course....... and thinking "home".....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Spending so much money on ludicrous golfing attire that you start to convince yourself that it's ok to wear it away from the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

When coins stop being coins and become markers.

When you're driving home from your round at half 10 and your mind is trying to come up with excuses/lies to get you out for a second round.

Love the one about the tees in every pocket Shauna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

6.35 sounds awfully early. OK, Captains Prize is different I guess, but there's no way you'd get our green keeping staff to sort out the course (greens, tees, flags, bunkers) ready for 6.35.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think I've done all above except the remortgage the house.

I think everyone knows how it done me in. Know, too much, too much.

To be honest, loved every minute and don't regret taking the game on - full on. A mate was home from London last night - told him I had a par round and he was delighted for me. Delighted is an understatement , a serious golfer ("off 18") himself. He could easily be single figures, he was giving me back our friends' golf society trophy he won last year, to be engraved for next year.

But it is all a bit sad isn't it, it is just a game - for all the effort that has gone into our games. The best times for me, was just standing on a high Tee Box, looking at the sea and laughing with my playing partners at the ridiculousness of it all.

No matter how you are playing, you are "playing" - imagine that. People are off working , worry about spreadsheets and graphs and kpis - or worse, have issues with health or family or life or death.

Golf for me is an escape - an idyllic escape from politics and ISIS and Greece and the vicissitudes of life.

Boards has been a crazy part of it - but for all the ills of an online existence, I've met fantastic people, the solidarity of craziness has been addictive. Was laughing with a lad from here the other day - we were paying last winter in "Feels Like" -3 degrees , there was full on ICE on the green . And after, in car park we would try to convince ourselves it was a great day (lol) . But you know what , it was still a golfing experience.

I've played wonderful courses and seen fabulous golfers - If you play this game enough , you see all the ways people play, you see something in everyone. I've seen people do things with a ball, I know I could never ever do. It has been such a joy of discovery , anger and life.

Anyway - won't get too/more "sentimental" , but has been a blast. Thanks lads and girls for all the help I got around here. The laughs too.

What next.

Not sure - a rest to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When you B&B it because you want to be fresh for that special course

When you sit on the YR website to get the first glimpse of next weeks weather

When you keep a spreadsheet of your scores

When you have the 'golf press' in the shed

When you've a shoe box full to the brim with found tees

When you've buckets of sh1te finds at home because you can't bear to throw them away

When you try over and over again to test the water with your daughter about getting an early round in the day of her Communion especially when YR is positive

When you're on family holidays and seek out a golf or sporting shop to get a putt in or better still hit an iron in the driving bay

Shauna, I thought that replaying your round was the only way to get to sleep

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

When you judge a car by how many sets of golf clubs it can fit in the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Cleaning the clubs on a Friday night before a competition on Saturday morning, PGA tour on the TV and the wife is on the couch with a marker drawing a putting line and signing your Pro v's becomes a tradition in your house

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As you're driving by fields you picture a lovely par 3

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I got an awful condition at one stage, I basically would bring up golf in the most inappropriate conversations and context.

People in work would ask me - "any golf today" , I had to start telling white lies.

Em, no - "What do you think of last quarters figures".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

when you can't get out for a game so you play a quick 9 on WGT :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How did you get on?
    It was there for the taking, 38 points won :eek:
    I shouldn't have bothered getting out of bed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

when you're left hand is white but right hand is tanned (the Michael Jackson look)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

When your Mrs asks you to book two weeks off work for the summer and you check your club fixtures schedule before your work schedule just in case you might be unavailable for the Captains prize or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

When your Mrs asks you to book two weeks off work for the summer and you check your club fixtures schedule before your work schedule just in case you might be unavailable for the Captains prize or something.

I did that this year. Convinced the wife we needed to book our holiday for the middle of June instead of the beginning or end of it. Barton Shield was at the beginning of June.... Senior Cup at the end of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

you measure wind speed in 'clubs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I could also add when I'm at club committee meetings Wednesday & Thursday, on volunteer shop duty Sunday morning, playing Sunday afternoon and later that night then spending 2 hours or so on weekly notes, pics etc as I'm the Club P.R.O - which happens from time to time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Rikand wrote: »
    I did that this year. Convinced the wife we needed to book our holiday for the middle of June instead of the beginning or end of it. Barton Shield was at the beginning of June.... Senior Cup at the end of it :D

Same here, booked ours so it wouldn't clash with the society outing in Carton House!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Rikand wrote: »
    Forgot to do this and now I'm going to miss the captain's prize. Again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I went on holiday last year with the wife and daughter.
    I ended up bringing the two of them to the driving range but it wasn't long before I sent them off back to the hotel while I jumped out for a round with a German bloke called Axel and his wife

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

shaunac93 wrote: »
    - When you stop wearing normal clothes on your days off cause more than likely at least a few holes of golf will be played

- All of your pants have a tee in the pocket

- You've played in thunder storms cause you know if you didnt it would be 2 full weeks without golf

-your clubs are always in the boot 'just incase'

- your known to start taking practise swings with invisible club at and setting and possibly mid conversation about something not even related to golf

-when 405 is wore off the buttons on your sky remote

- even when not golfing or watching the tour your looking at golf videos on youtube

- checking this forum religiously incase you miss some big golf news

- when you judge distances by golf clubs...its only a SW away

- when you play a round of golf in ypur head as you lie in bed at night

This is all actually scarily accurate lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ90

When nearly everything posted in this thread applies in someway to myself

Advertisement