Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Training in the training centre is 6 months. Then roughly the same time in your depot before passing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fr. chewie louie

Sent the 16pf off myself Friday or Saturday last and got the invitation for remote interview there this morning. Scheduled for next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 james87c

Nice one and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Gammyeye

I was told in my interview that training was 14 weeks at the training centre and then on to your depot after that.

That's for Dart trains, which a lot of people will tell you, are not real trains. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alpha1-1Cretty

I'd definitely prefer Diesel 100000%. The one thing that's confusing me is how some people got told they didn't succeed in phase 2 while others have already gotten interview invites. There's also a third subset of people that have recieved the 16pf and sent it off but not a subsequent interview date.

Surely they wouldn't send the 16pf to everyone otherwise they'd have to sift out the forms from people who didn't make it.

Do yous think people who recieved the 16pf are relatively safe for now and just awaiting an interview slot? Or is it a send to all and fail people afterwards type deal? I've seen the previous replies that lightly touch on this but it's still rather foggy I reckon.

All up in the air at the moment lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 slowclap

Well, considering some of us applied in January 2023, have made it to the medical (and presumably passed it) and are still waiting for a line manager interview … who knows how it’s done? Patience is a virtue etc. etc.

Maybe you’ve met the standard but other people were better than you and get called to interview first.

@[Deleted User]

Don't worry pat I haven't forgotten about ya. You've been hard done by for sure with this.

@slowclap That certainly could be the case. Could be a rostering thing for the interviewer. I suppose it's safe to say it could be any number of things.

Guess the best course of action is to shut up, hit Gmail, hit refresh, rinse and repeat for as long as is required!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Designator

I applied back at the start of 2023 also and had my medical , line manager interview the whole lot and am still waiting to hear back . But no news is good news as they say

@Designator

Non Dublin applicant?

I know someone who applied for a non Dublin position and was waiting an awful while to get a contract and a class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Gammyeye

Same as that. I have everything done and now silence. I'm actually getting a bit peeved. It's not really right when people would need to make life changing plans with family/job etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Designator

Yep, in for cork. I know a lad that was waiting 18 months before he got offered anything , so patience is key it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You’re right - called for interview, they are delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MK108

I didn't hear back after the 16pf. It seems that if they have called people already for the interviews it will be the same pool of people they choose for the job. Does anybody know if we get a rejection email/phonecall or do we just move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I really don’t know the finer details. Sometime last week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 agrimanoc

Don't worry worry yet about the training. You have the 2 biggest hurdles to jump yet in a 16pf interview and if you're successful there you have an even bigger line manager interview after that....and Don't forget a medical if they went well. It can be weeks or even months between stages. All depends on the depot you've applied for really

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gazzac

Any updates on the station operative jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Thecallkid

You'll definitely get a response either way. No news is considered good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Morr1990

Just received email today today I wasn't upto standard in phase 2 🙁🙁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 TheBackRoads

Sorry to hear that man, keep trying, I heard they hire for drivers regularly enough. Can I ask, did you receive an invitation to the 16pf? Or is this their first email since the Phase 2 assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Morr1990

First contact from them since phase 2. Surprised myself in getting this far tbf so will try again next time round

Absolutely man, don't give up there. At least for the next time they're hiring, you know what to expect !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 magicjohnson94

Same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 magicjohnson94

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 snobs24

Anyone hear back about the station operative job?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gazzac

Still awaiting my face to face assessment date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭zega

does anyone know what the shift pattern is exactly for these jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 samcro_savagery

I'm in the same boat as you. I completed the 16pf on the 19th January and have heard nothing back. Reading through past comments on the forum though we will get called back for interview but it might take a few weeks. I know it's hard but I'm trying to be patient and I just keep checking my emails.

I'm in the exact same situation. Done my 16pf and have been checking my emails obsessively everyday haha. I'll be emailing them myself soon to at least see if I've made it to the next stage, but glad to see other people in my position are being called for interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kitcats

I did my 16pf and was got my interview a week later and now passed to line manager interview received email for line manager interview yesterday.

Same deal here. No interview yet.

Emailed a day or so ago, they said there's no further action on my part required for the moment and everything's all good.

Be patient brothers and sisters. The call will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Was told by a reliable colleague that the intention is to train 100 drivers this year(DART + Diesel) so all to play for still

@Rootsblower

Thanks for the info.

Do you think thatl be spread between the October 2023 campaign and this year's campaign or is there a sense of IÉ reevaluating their needs and pushing for 100 per campaign?

I remember the ad stating they wanted 100 between 23 and 24.

At this point I imagine (hope more like) that anyone who hasn't received the dreaded; "thanks but no thanks" email should eventually net an interview.

Still, the info is appreciated as always. Having read through all the forums since the beginning of this thread I've spotted your name quite a bit. You've definitely been a great help to everyone involved here so thanks for that.

**Edit:Typos**

Post edited by Alpha1-1Cretty on

My source says IE are trying to train 100 drivers this year. They are hoping to increase class sizes to 12 but there is an issue with the training train part of the course if there’s 12 trainees in a class. Don’t know what the issue is.

It's not just the training train. That's only two weeks of the course.

That’s the info from the horses mouth as they say. Feel free to elaborate on what else is the problem. I’d be interested to knowz

I got the email for an interview yesterday (station operative)

🤞🤞

@Rootsblower thanks for the advisory man. Quite strange indeed. Can't wait to get this interview invite and go crush it all the same. Thanks again

• Advertisement

@snobs24 ayy there you go man. You've got this!

Hey man, I see you posting in here a good bit and just wanna say youve been raising the morale, so thanks for that. Do you have any advice or tips on preparing for the interview. If I get the invite, this would be my first serious job and first serious interview haha. So if you've any tips on how you've been preparing at all, I'd appreciate it greatly :)

Sorry forgot to tag you in that post @Alpha1-1Cretty , still kinda new to the site

@TheBackRoads

I can't speak for IÉs interviews in particular as I'm at the same stage as yourself in the process in the moment but the rule of thumb for all interviews in my experience is using the S.T.A.R method. Its very easy to be conscious of this method in real time and If you don't know it already; it works as follows:

Situation- Give a little background on the situation relating to the example you're giving. (Try to paint a good picture of the situation)

Task- What were you going to have to do In response to the situation. ("I knew at that point I had to: X,Y,Z")

Action- Explain what you did to avoid, work with or take care of the situation in question.

Result- What happened as a direct result of your actions and how did you feel about the whole situation.

Its important that you do a quick google of the job description and ensure your responses lean that way and relate back to the description.

-Safety Cognizance.

-Being Customer Focused.

-Being contentious. (The natural tendency to do your job well, every single time)

-Being Calm in an emergency situation.

So on and so forth.

The interviewers job isn't to find people to eliminate. They're looking for people to hire and while the difference between those two goals is minute; it really helps to keep all that in mind.

I hope some of this helps you out. I'm sure theres plenty of people in here more qualified than myself to help you with this one as I'll have to do what you're doing pretty soon but this is the official way companies like it done.

Being well spoken in interviews like the one for a train driver role is more important than most other interviews because the job relies on non technical skills. You could have a degree in rail engineering and it still wouldn't help you much as the kind of person you are and what you've been through/done is far more important than some diploma or certificate.

I wish you the best of luck in the first interview. Hopefully I get my own invite soon lol.

Cheers as always

@TheBackRoads Also, just wanted to thank you for the kind words. There's a lot of doubt and stress in this whole process. It doesn't matter if we're all competing for positions here. Anything any of us can do to alleviate the pressure in all of this should be done because that's what right. Sure there's competition here; regardless at this stage there's a good chance that we are talking to future colleagues so respect is important. I've seen it all in this forum. From people being friendly and helpful to people calling each other dumb or stupid.

The latter is not productive whatsoever and I've got nothing but contempt for that mentality. The former is an absolute virtue and displays the qualities needed for the job!

Cheers again. Were almost there. Right on track some would say.

Man thanks so much for the help, I'll definitely go home today and think of ways to incorporate all my experience into the interview using the STAR method. And thanks for the extra points to make regarding safety, remaining calm etc. I'll be sure to think of those too.

You're dead right about the attitude everyone should have towards each other here despite it being a competition. Like you said, we could be future colleagues and I'm glad there's such a level of respect.

Best of luck with your interview when you get the date, keep us updated man. And thanks again, you're great help !

@Alpha1-1Cretty thanks 👍🏼

An extra four per class would only increase the training train from two weeks to three. The extra four would take longer in class room sessions, longer when learning railcars, longer when trying to get their hands on suitable locos in Inchicore during training. Maybe during certain parts of the training, they need to have drivers from the depots come to work with the trainees, similar to when they are out doing their hours. 12 in a class can work, but they need to find a way to get past any of the bottlenecks they think it might create.

You're only really competing with yourself. You just need to show them you are up to the job, and not think about being better than anyone else.

• Advertisement

Advertisement