Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Transfer

Options
  • 04-07-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently working in a large multinational in what is my first job from college. I have been working in the same department for just over 2 years and as I am now starting to find the work very boring and repetitive, I really would like to move positions within the company to get experience in a different area.

Unfortunately as one guy has just left my team, another girl has been transitioned (approx 1 month) in to take their place from another area so although she's very experienced within the company, she is only now getting to grips with a small part of what we are doing. So in effect, I am now the most experienced person on the team. We do have another person about to start in the next few weeks but this normally takes quite a while to process.

Although I have looked to get involved in different projects within the team, this is limited and there is another person (working in a different area of the same dept) who seems to deal solely with this (across the two areas, though I have done a small bit with this), and although my manager has "promised" to get me more involved, she has implied that this will not be for a number of months (what with training in the new team member). I have also asked my manager about applying for different positions within the company, and although she says she will help me when the time comes, she has implied that this will be in the very distant future. As I am now the most experienced person in my area, I have also expressed how I would like to be promoted (not immediately but within a year) but have been shot down for this which has made me even more frustrated!!

Now I’m unsure what to do with regards applying for a new internal position as it is necessary to ask your manager before applying for an internal role. Should I wait until the 3rd person has started before asking about internal roles, ask on Monday (as there are roles advertised that I am interested in) or apply outside the company?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I can't really give any advice about the company specific culture but i was in your position recently. Worked 2 years at current company, decided i needed to move elsewhere to further my development.

I ended up moving to a new position within the same company.I mentioned it to my line manager once i got called to interview and again when i was offered the role to see if they would be able to counter.

In my opinion, you have to do whats best for yourself. If your boss is professional, they will realise this. Sure, it may look like your leaving them in the lurch by leaving but sadly, that isnt your responsibility and even if you start looking now, realistically it would be 2 months before you start any new role.

You need to decide whether or not you definitely want to leave your current team as once this is set in motion, it may be hard to reverse.

One part i would be interested in some clarification on . When you say that you have to ask your boss about applying, do you mean inform them that you are or do you actually have to get approval before you can apply?

Hope this helps.

Yes, a big factor is the company culture. However it is reasonable for a new starter to change roles in the early years of their career in order to broaden their experience and this is recognised by most companies. On the other hand, it is also a bad thing to be unsettled and to move too often. Three years in a role is regarded as a respectable period, enough to do a good job and an appropriate time to move on.
    I would suggest that you be quite open about a desire to complete a move by the time you have been three years in your present job. You are now the most experienced there so use this to your benefit by becoming better known and respected for being capable and competent within the company. Let others know you are looking for another position, but in the context of furthering your career and broadening your experience within the company. Don't whine about your present job or about your boss or colleagues.
    This way you will become aware of suitable positions and you may even be sought out by others. It will also allow your manager to become attuned to the idea that you will be leaving and she ought to consider how to replace you..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

Thanks for the advice. I think as you say you have to look out for number 1.

I'm not 100% sure if we need approval or can just apply to other positions. I know in the past others (that where a bit aggrieved) just applied and told the manager after they where called to an interview (within the same company).

I'm going to update my cv with the things I have learned in this role, be as helpful and good at my job as possible and hopefully will sort something soon.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

In your position I'd want to know what the reasons were for your being shot down when you asked about a promotion. Was it that they don't think the role is suitable for someone at the next level up in the organisation or that they don't think you perform well enough to be considered for promotion? If the latter, have you got a list of things that you need to work and improve on? Given that your manager doesn't seem to want to let you go you've got a good indicator that you're doing ok at least.

Moving to a different area depends on the company, for my first serious employer moving sideways would have been looked at very strangely until you got a senior management level, for another it was nigh on impossible to get a straight promotion, you moved sideways, acted up and eventually would be given the promotion once you had proven that you could do the job. It's up to you to read the culture and determine the best approach.

One thing that you might consider looking for is a mentor - ideally you want someone a couple of levels up from you who has a good understanding of the company. If you're clear about what you want they can help you to navigate your way through the politics with as little friction as possible. Think carefully before you approach someone but don't be afraid - most people are flattered to be approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

I think the problem is there are already a lot of senior people on my team...as such I'm not really given that much opportunity to be in a position to showcase my skills! Other more senior people get to work on projects and I'm left to sort out the everyday stuff!

Hmm mentor could be a good idea, will look into it.

At the moment I feel like it would be a good thing to swap roles so I can learn a new aspect of the business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Froggy123 wrote: »
    I think the problem is there are already a lot of senior people on my team...as such I'm not really given that much opportunity to be in a position to showcase my skills! Other more senior people get to work on projects and I'm left to sort out the everyday stuff!

Hmm mentor could be a good idea, will look into it.

At the moment I feel like it would be a good thing to swap roles so I can learn a new aspect of the business...

This may sound ridiculous but you can't wait around to be given opportunities. You have to make them for yourself. They come out of half an idea or gap that you spot and make something out of that nobody else has thought of. You get places by innovating not by doing what everyone else is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

If the company in general is pretty decent and you like the environment provided there is potential to progress it may be worth sticking it out for another 6-12 months.

I would be clear with the line manager that you are keen to progress and really you should try and agree a plan going forward with them with clearly defined goals and a role. If a suitable position arises you should apply you don't need approval to do this, but it would be courteous to let them know you intend to apply, your manager may have to approve the transfer if your successful, but a decent manager shouldn't block this.

Of course your manager doesn't want you to move as your doing a decent job and leaving will cause them a problem to fix. I'd give the company and opportunity to offer you something, if they are coming up short then it would be worth exploring other opportunities externally while getting a bump in salary.

Advertisement