Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does the Marriage Equality law come into effect?

Options
  • 04-07-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Can anybody kindly advise when a formal law on marriage equality comes into effect in Ireland? As a practicing polygamist, I'm desperate to come out with my real identity (living a double life, literally!, in a country that claims to respect democracy all the while, has been utterly depressing). I honestly cant wait to unite my two families in Ireland (who know themselves very well)!! Happy 4th of July all!

Pls this is no thread for hating or fascist comments. Live and let live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Marriage equality won't allow a person to marry any more than one person. So you might be waiting a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ManofStan

Lux23 wrote: »
    Marriage equality won't allow a person to marry any more than one person. So you might be waiting a long time.

Says who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

ManofStan wrote: »
    Says who?
    The recent amendment actually explicitly prohibits polygamy. Up to this, the Constitution didn't explicitly prohibit polygamy, although it might have been inferred from the Christian nature of the State.

The new wording is:

"Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex"

Advertisement