Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

research without RCT

Options
  • 04-07-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has advice on types of research without RCT. I was thinking of conducting a retrospective series case study from 2014 to present. Does anyone know where I could get info on this or find relevant similar studies. The participant population I intend to use will come from clients who attended counselling sessions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I was wondering if anyone has advice on types of research without RCT. I was thinking of conducting a retrospective series case study from 2014 to present. Does anyone know where I could get info on this or find relevant similar studies. The participant population I intend to use will come from clients who attended counselling sessions.
    Need a bit more information regarding your proposed study.

The data you will be examining has been recorded in the past for reasons other than research? Will there be a specific condition of interest or treatment that was not shared by all subjects/cases in the data set(s), or will this be an emergent fishing expedition of all conditions and treatments that may have occurred?

Is the data to be examined qualitative, quantitative, or both? If currently qualitative, can some or all of this data be operationalised into quantitative measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As Black Swan says, way more information is needed.

There are many, many different ways to conduct research and pretty much anything can be considered valid data, within certain contexts.

If you are looking back over previously documented studies, then a meta-analysis may be what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Thanks for your responses folks. I dont think it is a meta analysis because data will come from cases (individuals) I have worked with. The data seems to be emergent to some degree, however specific psychological symptoms were treated via a specific counselling method. Some of the data I have is quantitative eg mood questionnaires and some is qualitative eg participants dialogue/comments/feedback during counselling sessions. I am not sure what type of research design to use for this type of study.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Some of the data I have is quantitative eg mood questionnaires and some is qualitative eg participants dialogue/comments/feedback during counselling sessions. I am not sure what type of research design to use for this type of study.
    I would recommend that you use a multi-method approach (both qualitative and quantitative), and triangulate in your analysis. John W. Creswell's Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods may be a helpful book, which should be available in NUI libraries for checkout. I have the book, and could pick out a design that may be useful towards your study, but unfortunately I'm now in an offsite meeting on short break.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, so your first question is, what is your Research Question.

Once you have clearly articulated your RQ, then you can decide what data you want to gather and consequently, what methods are suitable.

You need to have a fair idea of what you are trying to achieve before you decide on your methods. Your RQ may evolve over a number of iterations before you settle on what you want to investigate, but don't make the mistake of having your data determine your methodology.

Cart before the horse, and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Thanks very much folks for all your help. I will try get the book recommended by Black Swan.

Advertisement