Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strollers!

Options
  • 04-07-2015 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

So my 5 month old is a bruiser and I've realised I hate my travel system now that he's heavier-it's just too bulky, heavy and awkward! I loved the carrycot and car seat part of the bundle so I suppose it could have been worse. Anyways I'm looking at a stroller for him now, I definitely want one that reclines and I'm probably going to try and get a second hand one to save some money. Maclaren seem to be one of the really popular ones? I'm sort of leaning towards keeping an eye out for the Maclaren techno second hand as that actually has a compatible carrycot for a newborn if it comes down to needing it (we do hope to go again in a few years time). It seems to have very decent reviews but so do lots of strollers from what I can see!

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So my 5 month old is a bruiser and I've realised I hate my travel system now that he's heavier-it's just too bulky, heavy and awkward! I loved the carrycot and car seat part of the bundle so I suppose it could have been worse. Anyways I'm looking at a stroller for him now, I definitely want one that reclines and I'm probably going to try and get a second hand one to save some money. Maclaren seem to be one of the really popular ones? I'm sort of leaning towards keeping an eye out for the Maclaren techno second hand as that actually has a compatible carrycot for a newborn if it comes down to needing it (we do hope to go again in a few years time). It seems to have very decent reviews but so do lots of strollers from what I can see!

Any advice?

I have a MacLaren quest. The one thing I hate is that my 17 month old slouches in it. The next time you are out and about look out and you will see this is a common problem!! We were given it so I can't complain!

I would get a out n about nipper or a baby jogger city mini. I prefer the tyres out n about. They fit massive children too! Both are suitable from birth.

Also I have a funny feeling boots.ie did a half price sale last summer....loads of buggies were half price so they may have out n about reduced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was like you mirrorwall and I ditched the travel system and got a babyjogger city mini and absolutely loved it. So light and easy to push with one hand and fold. It has had a lot of heavy use over the last year and still like new :) Also, the full canopy is great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bummer, that's a bit out of our price range new and even second hand is a bit steep as there's so few up. Might have to be the Maclaren though I'm intrigued by the City jogger now. Might try and find a shop with both, test them out and if it has to be the jogger then it'll be travel system for another few months until we can afford jt

Bummer, that's a bit out of our price range new and even second hand is a bit steep as there's so few up. Might have to be the Maclaren though I'm intrigued by the City jogger now. Might try and find a shop with both, test them out and if it has to be the jogger then it'll be travel system for another few months until we can afford jt

Honestly I wouldn't waste my money on the MacLaren! My OH will not put our son in ours so insists on bringing the bugaboo around.
    I know Bellababy sell both. You can also get "lite" versions of both. I have seen the lite ones in sales for less than €200.
    The wheels on the the out n about are like my bugaboo wheels so I think they are better if you were going on big long walks/live in the country.

Both seats on the city mini and out and about look very comfy. I would say the recline on them are far better than the MacLaren techno.
    Both also have 1 handle as oped to maclarens two handles. Two handles are a disaster when you are trying to shop!

Another bad thing about the MacLaren is, my boy (when having a tantrum) tries to stand up in it. It's because it is low and has the foot strap. He can't do it on his bugaboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

All of my wife's friends has made reference to how good this buggy is, smooth is the first comment, quiet, and easy turn..

Its an all terrine buggy, we've had ours in fields at shows, where I've seen people walk out carrying theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We have the maxi cosi mila. It's suitable from birth, can take a maxi cosi car seat so handy, fully reclines and folds flat. When folded it has a small handle so it can be pulled like a suitcase, great for airport trips!

We got a great deal on it in Tony kealys, came with footmuff and car seat adapters for €150

Millem wrote: »
    Honestly I wouldn't waste my money on the MacLaren! My OH will not put our son in ours so insists on bringing the bugaboo around.
    I know Bellababy sell both. You can also get "lite" versions of both. I have seen the lite ones in sales for less than €200.
    The wheels on the the out n about are like my bugaboo wheels so I think they are better if you were going on big long walks/live in the country.

Both seats on the city mini and out and about look very comfy. I would say the recline on them are far better than the MacLaren techno.
    Both also have 1 handle as oped to maclarens two handles. Two handles are a disaster when you are trying to shop!

Another bad thing about the MacLaren is, my boy (when having a tantrum) tries to stand up in it. It's because it is low and has the foot strap. He can't do it on his bugaboo.

I actually love two handles, im coming from one with two handles. I'm in the town and it won't be used for long walks, it's more an in and out of the car we want.

I've contacted a few shops to see where I can view them all. It will come down to what we can get for our money though, while all three look nice we can't afford new and it'll be whatever we can get. Thanks everyone

I actually love two handles, im coming from one with two handles. I'm in the town and it won't be used for long walks, it's more an in and out of the car we want.

I've contacted a few shops to see where I can view them all. It will come down to what we can get for our money though, while all three look nice we can't afford new and it'll be whatever we can get. Thanks everyone

you won't know yourself with a single bar....especially as the MacLaren basket is tiny and very hard to access. I find it difficult to get in a 2litre milk when my boy is in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

I have the city mini jogger gt and I love it. We brought it on holidays to lanzarote too and the canopy is quite large and so easy to fold. Definitely recommend it. Mother care do the city jogger mini but not the gt. We got ours in bella baby in dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Another vote for city mini. I had the double and loved it. I hate 2 handle buggys so sold my flimsy baby elegance stroller and double (3yr old walks alot and i use a sling) and bought the city mini gt. I was planning on just buying city mini or out and about but gt was bang smack in thr middle of both. I have artgritis so need something easy to push. Easy to fold and not too heavey. And it ticks all the boxes. Ive a 15mnth old and 3yr old and both fit in it comfortably. . Reclines flat if we ever have another and can take maxi cosi seat. Basket is a decent size and has a basket at the back of thr seat where i normally store a blanket just in case. The only thing i wasnt keen on is it was hard to get it up really straight. I discovered this is common and bought a set of sit up straps to make the seat sit up more. 15mnth old much happier now.
    Its a pain to try using a buggy board with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Can I say we bough the hauck sport stroller for €30 in Aldi and it's the best buy ever. We use it every day. Great for keeping in the car and going to the shops etc. wouldn't be great for long walks etc though.

It's no city jogger etc but it's not €200 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anne2014

I am also looking for a stroller. I love my travel system so not looking to replace that but we're going abroad at least twice in the next three months so I'd like a stroller for that rather than bringing the travel system. Also, my mam minds baby a lot so she would use it as she finds our travel system heavy and has difficulty putting it together. Our budget is €200 so I'm looking at the vista gluxe but have been reading so much about the maclaren that I'm tempted to go for the techno.

Just to update for anyone on a budget. After discussion the city mini was just too expensive, even second hand for one that was in decent Nick not run into the ground. I viewed a lot of buggys/stollers and ended up going with the joie mirus which is 99e in smyths on sale. For anyone where money is tight this thing is awesome. I've been for three long walks with it, on four buses and in a taxi so far and it has been perfect for what I want.

Positives:
    Incredibly light
    Massive hood
    Easy to use and big rain cover
    3 recline positions one handed
    1handed fold and push (loving this)
    Big basket accessible when lying down

The only cons for me are
    1. The facing mum position is really awkward to steer. Doesn't bother me because he's ready to face forward
    2. The handle is maybe an inch lower than I'd like but one handed steer makes up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We got a Silver Cross micro for going abroad. I did a lot of research and was keen to buy second hand. Eventually saw one on DoneDeal and bought it - perfect condition, 80eur. I wanted a stroller that was completely collapsable, rather than one that the wheels didn't fold in on aswell (if that makes sense). I like the Silver Cross, but I have an Uppababy travel system, and really, there's no comparison between the two. However the Silver Cross is perfect for holidays, or going into town (small, so easier in shops) - the Uppababy is used for everything else. There's a huge hood on it, and it reclines nicely, so I'm quite happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Glad you found something. I would have recommended the out n about nipper as well. 80 quid for the single one on done deal or adverts. It's a great buggy.

pwurple wrote: »
    Glad you found something. I would have recommended the out n about nipper as well. 80 quid for the single one on done deal or adverts. It's a great buggy.

Cheapest on adverts at the moment is 100 and they're five years old or have wobbly wheels. Cheapest on donedeal is 100 in cork. Everything else is around the 200 mark. I did have a good look for the nipper or the mini but just that little bit too pricey for my pocket. Anyone who is a bit more prepared (aka didn't just completely lose it with their buggy and refuse to use it anymore lol) give yourself time to watch donedeal/adverts like a hawk-they can be got for decent value (judging by past sales) but you need time and a little luck to get them!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Who knows, if we go again I may convince the OH to save for a new one!

Advertisement