Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundrive Velodrome

Options
  • 03-07-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently 15 and I'm interested in getting started in track cycling in Sundrive. The website says the last accreditation date is on July 25th. Do I simply turn up for the 12:30 youth session to get accredited or do I need to get in contact in advance?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hi there,

I'm currently 15 and I'm interested in getting started in track cycling in Sundrive. The website says the last accreditation date is on July 25th. Do I simply turn up for the 12:30 youth session to get accredited or do I need to get in contact in advance?

Thanks for your help!

Always best to check first. There are multiple threads on here about the accreditation system which might help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The next and final Accreditation of the year is the 25th of July, all info here:
    http://www.trackcycling.ie/?tribe_events=final-accreditation-sundrive

You need to be accredited before any session, youth, junior, senior or vet. Give them a shout on the contact us section on the site there and they'll be able to tell you better. They're on Facebook too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm currently 15 and I'm interested in getting started in track cycling in Sundrive.
    Oh Christ! - not another:pac:

(don't take it personally OP, but I'm getting tired of getting hammered every week by pesky kids in the track league:))

What's your background? Have you done much cycling at club level? I presume you are eyeing up racing. Whatever your experience you will find there is a strong youth section, and you will progress no-end if you start taking the track seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭magicmonkeys

Don't worry too much, I'll go easy :). I've never been a member of a club, however I do relatively long cycles (ca. 60-100km) and can sustain around 25km/h solo for these distances depending on route, conditions etc. A few years back my school arranged track sessions which I performed well at (came 1st in most of the races -- against other untrained racers in my class).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As everyone else has said, check in first, you may need a license of some sort but I know there is an allowance for some clubs to give 3 introductory club spins, Sundrive might be the same but I am unsure.

If they are not, a license is 35euro if you are a member of a club, 65 if you are not. I would recommend joining one of the cheaper clubs, conveniently, I think Sundrive is the cheapest for underage at about 5euro (again needs confirming).

Its good craic and you will have alot of people the same age as you, you will recognise them as the people getting further and further away from one of the most expensive bikes on the track as it desperately tries to cling on to their wheels ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No licence needed to train afaik

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No licence needed to train afaik

Need to check but I think CI rules allow upto 3 spins with a club (including training etc.) before you need a license but I am pretty sure you need one after that or a one day license, maybe the track have it built into their fees but worth asking them to confirm.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think Sundrive is the cheapest for underage at about 5euro (again needs confirming).
    I know of at least one club that undercuts that (by 100%) for under 18s. It only has the one regular at the track though;)

On the topic of "licences", the "3 spin rule" is nothing to do with racing licences at all. It covers non-CI members for training/leisure spins as a way of trying it out before committing

I think it would need checking whether that applies to track training though, as that is quite specific training with racing in mind, and they may insist on a minimum of a track-specific racing licence (rather than CI leisure membership)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You need a training license to train on track. You can do accreditation with no license but you need one to train after that. That's how it was for me last year anyway.

Advertisement