Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to longford, please advise!

Options
  • 03-07-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

I'm going to be moving to longford in september of this year and don't know much about the county or surronding area.
    I'm 25 and will be working in lansbourgh for the forseable future.
    Where would be the best place to live in the county or maybe places like roscommon town or athlone?
    I'm looking for a quiet place with a nice atmosphere and hopefully a rugby club nearby.

I'd be very grateful for any advice or guidance as i'm still quite unfimilar with the 'midlands' :P

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

pk.conn wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm going to be moving to longford in september of this year and don't know much about the county or surronding area.
    Where would be the best place to live in the county or maybe places like roscommon town or athlone?
    I'm looking for a quiet place with a nice atmosphere and hopefully a rugby club nearby.

I'd be very grateful for any advice or guidance as i'm still quite unfimilar with the 'midlands' :P

Thanks.

First of all ignore the negative press you hear about Longford being rough or knackery. Its no better or worse than most small towns in the country. Granted its not the most exciting place to live or blessed with tourist attractions but its smack bang in the middle of the country so a great base. Lanesboro would be a good spot to live and theres a rugby club in Longford town only 20 minutes away

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Hi OP,
    Do you want to live in an urban or rural area? Longford Rugby Club is quite vibrant. So is Buccs in Athlone, but the Longford/Roscommon side would be more convenient for you regarding work.

Lanesboro, Ballymahon, Cashel, Killashee, Clondra - all lovely quiet places with easy access to all of the surrounding towns. Lanesboro and Ballymahon might be better serviced than the smaller villages but it depends on what you are looking for. There are areas around Longford town that are lovely places to live as well, but personally I prefer the countryside!

Absolutely ignore the negative press, Longford is lovely!

Welcome in advance and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pk.conn

Thanks for the advice.
    Been looking into ballymahon as my girlfriend may move up aswell and she'd be looking for work in athlone or longford town.
    what's traffic like going into athlone and longford town in peak times?
    I'm not too pushed about towns or country aslong as the place is nice.

Thanks again for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fanatic Nobb

pk.conn wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks.

Longford town then is the spot. Latge rugby club there. Plus its the closest large town to lansboro. If u want quieter the longford town... the are numerius smsll towns/villages within a short distance of longford (and ur still close to Longford/rugby club)

Advertisement