Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership

Options
  • 03-07-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

I missed signing my car of the road which is a project so now i am doing a change of ownership to avoid paying back tax . can new owner sign it of the road straight away or have they to wait till start of next month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

They have 10 days from the date of transfer.
    Usually it would be better to keep an eye on motortax.ie to see when the new logbook is issued, and then swoop in and declare it SORD the next day. You normally can't do a SORD online, or tax a car, until 24 hours after the new VLC is issued.

Or the 'new' owner could just do nothing and then change ownership back to yourself when you're ready to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

OK thanks new owner has 10 days of grace you mean to tax car without any penalties when they receive logbook.

No, the new owner has 10 days (from declared date of ownership change) to declare the car SORD.
    So, if i buy a car from you today I have 10 days to declare it 'off the road', even though it could take 3 weeks for me to receive the new VLC. That's why I would check motortax.ie daily to check when the new VLC was isssued....and then declare the car SORD before the VLC arrives.
    You would have to request a PIN number to do this but that is very straightforward.

As regards actually Taxing the car the new owner is liable for Tax from the 1st of the month in whatever month they bought the car....i.e. from the 1st of the month that they signed the logbook.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

My son bought a car and it was registered on june 25th as his, and he sorned it last night from 1st june ok on motortax.ie.
    I think thats longer than ten days grace.

kadman

That's great.....

......but not what Q14 states.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/#Q14

And it's not 10 days "grace" (which implies some sort of 'let-off'), it's simply listed as 10 days from the date of change of ownership.

• Advertisement
Advertisement