Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC to buy TV3

Options
  • 03-07-2015 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

From RTÉ:
    RTE wrote:
    UPC Ireland is to acquire broadcaster TV3 in a deal worth up to €87m, the communications company has announced.
    UPC, which is owned by Liberty Global, will pay an initial €80m for TV3 and its sister channel 3e, with an additional €7m set to be paid if the station hits certain performance targets.
    TV3 is currently owned by private equity group Doughty Hanson, which bought the company in 2006 for €265m.
    Doughty Hanson cutting its losses, it seems to me. Apparently "Liberty Global also has a small shareholding in ITV plc, and co-owns production firm All3media", so maybe not such a stretch to buy a TV station.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ireland has a stupid number of full time general interest channels for a population of 4 million and a bit. Its crazy - RTE 1, RTE 2, TV3, UTV plus 3e and TG4 and even those two can only be considered semi-niche in truth. Ultimately in an age of shrinking audiences one of them will have to go and it won't be TG4 as that's a political/culturally sensitive project.

TV3 has Liberty Global, RTE has the majority of the licence fee which leaves UTV Ireland, which is being surrounded by red ink. Just how deep are UTVs pockets? How much are they willing to sell to protect the channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

That's the death knell for UTV Ireland. TV3 will snap up the soaps as soon as they become available again. TV3 went into profit last year and with a global giant backing it - their future looks bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's the death knell for UTV NI appearing on UPC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

The only time I see UTV Ireland is when I'm breezing past it on a channel hop. No idea what programming it provides, just assume it will be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

Hopefully they'll sort out the HD on TV3 over the coming months. I don't mind the programming on TV3 and they show quite a lot of good films but holy jaysus lads the quality is absolutely disgraceful like. It looks like your watching pirated video. We're in 2015 ffs it's an embarrassment. I can't bare watching the Champions League on it either!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dean. wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll sort out the HD on TV3 over the coming months. I don't mind the programming on TV3 and they show quite a lot of good films but holy jaysus lads the quality is absolutely disgraceful like. It looks like your watching pirated video. We're in 2015 ffs it's an embarrassment. I can't bare watching the Champions League on it either!!

It's supposed to be sorted for HD before the Rugby World Cup, not sure if that will be across all platforms or just Sky and UPC.

Advertisement