Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fine for parking in bus lane after hours

• 03-07-2015 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all, just a quick check before I query a fine I got for parking in a bus lane after hours. Fine received at 9.25 at night; bus lane only operational till 7pm. The fine is for "Parking opposite continuous white line". There are double yellow lines a little further along the bus lane but not where I parked leading me to believe that it is ok out of hours. Otherwise why not have double yellows the whole way? For anyone that knows it its at the Lidl on Cork St, D8.

Image of where I parked attached (hopefully)

Thanks
    ftc

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Based on that, it looks perfectly OK to have parked there. Any taxi rank or anything there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

To be guilty of the offence,the following has to be true
    You have to be parked:

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

Rrm 001 is a solid white line 100 or 150 mm wide in the centre of the road.

To my layman's eyes(!),you are allowed to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Looks legit I'm afraid to say. People get hit for 'continuous white line' in Rathmines on a regular basis with no double yellows.

Google maps suggests there is a continuous white line so depends how far along you were parked.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.337209,-6.286511,3a,75y,229.42h,98.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXAadlNxCOW_C3grok6GYWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

vandriver wrote: »
    To be guilty of the offence,the following has to be true
    You have to be parked:

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

Rrm 001 is a solid white line 100 or 150 mm wide in the centre of the road.

To my layman's eyes(!),you are allowed to park there.

Well its just a 2 lane road (in each direction including bus lane) so this might be it??

Thanks,
    ftc

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

TJJP wrote: »
    Looks legit I'm afraid to say. People get hit for 'continuous white line' in Rathmines on a regular basis with no double yellows.

Google maps suggests there is a continuous white line so depends how far along you were parked.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.337209,-6.286511,3a,75y,229.42h,98.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXAadlNxCOW_C3grok6GYWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

As far as I can remember I was parked around where the red car is in google maps. Broken white line in middle of road. Or does the Continuous White Line refer to the bus lane's line??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Well its just a 2 lane road (in each direction including bus lane) so this might be it??

Thanks,
    ftc

Well it's a 3 lane roadway (including 1 bus lane) so from the law posted it looks like you should be allowed park there

Continuous White Line certainly isn't the bus lane's line so if you were that far up, I'd question it if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ugh ... you can park on top of Bicycle lanes in Ireland ?

Where in Rathmines are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It was pointed out to me by a traffic warden in Tallaght, although I was not parked on a double yellow I was going to get a ticket if I parked where I was.
    When I asked why, the reply was along the lines of "..the vehicle was potentialy an obstruction to heavy goods vehicles which may have to cross the solid white line in the middle of the road when passing my van."
    As the book was already out I moved the van.
    If in the O.P.'s case the car was parked somewhat back a bit from the start of the double yellow, then I would think it's possible the fine may be correct.

• Advertisement

Cycle lanes have times at the start of them (ie 7 till 7 e.g.)
    At all other times,it is not a statutory cycle lane.

The edge of the bus lane is shown with RRM 024,a 250mm solid white line.This is not the solid white line (RRM 001…) that is referred to in the offence of parking opposite a continuous white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The edge of the bus lane is shown with RRM 024,a 250mm solid white line.This is not the solid white line (RRM 001…) that is referred to in the offence of parking opposite a continuous white line.

Agreed, as the OP was parked here (streetview) there doesn't appear to be any parking prohibition outside the times posted, certainly not the one claimed by the FPN. Definitely worth disputing imo. I assume the two signposts behind the OP show the same times as the one in his photo.

Where in Rathmines are you referring to?

Sorry, off topic but here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.325585,-6.26508,3a,75y,209.59h,80.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNp7WQC_tYPWhjIEnim2w0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Lines have been repainted as you can see (they were much worse). Even now the white car on right, for example, is not on yellows but is opposite solid white (and crossing etc.), and is running a risk.

Cycle lanes have times at the start of them (ie 7 till 7 e.g.)
    At all other times,it is not a statutory cycle lane.

That's absolutely bonkers cycle lanes should be 24 hours.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.325585,-6.26508,3a,75y,209.59h,80.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNp7WQC_tYPWhjIEnim2w0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Lines have been repainted as you can see (they were much worse). Even now the white car on right, for example, is not on yellows but is opposite solid white (and crossing etc.), and is running a risk.

The white car in particular might well run the risk of falling foul of the offence of parking within 5 metres of the pedestrian crossing(15 metres before,5 metres after).If you know the area well,you will have seen that the clampers used to clamp the cars nearest the crossing,but left others alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That white line for the bus lane doesn't count, as Vandriver demonstrated it has to be RM001 which is always in the centre of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Where the cycle lane is marked with a dashed line it's effectively only advisory rather than mandatory as other traffic may cross it. It it was a solid cycle lane marking and, within hours, it would be impermissible. Whoever issued the ticket is ill suited to his job.

The White car is clearly illegally parked in this example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Marcusm wrote: »
    The White car is clearly illegally parked in this example.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It was pointed out to me by a traffic warden in Tallaght, although I was not parked on a double yellow I was going to get a ticket if I parked where I was.
    When I asked why, the reply was along the lines of "..the vehicle was potentialy an obstruction to heavy goods vehicles which may have to cross the solid white line in the middle of the road when passing my van."
    As the book was already out I moved the van.
    If in the O.P.'s case the car was parked somewhat back a bit from the start of the double yellow, then I would think it's possible the fine may be correct.
    Bet that was the woman in brown, and not the man in blue?

She's (corpo employed) fairly decent. If you smile and apologise she listens to reason. Will generally let you on. He (private company) is a cnut. Will hide round the side of the spar writing out the ticket, waiting till you're farther from your car than he is.

pippip wrote: »
    Why?

Because it's parked opposite a continuous white line! Being the central line separator extending from the crossing point. 5 yards further forward it would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

endacl wrote: »
    Bet that was the woman in brown, and not the man in blue?

She's (corpo employed) fairly decent. If you smile and apologise she listens to reason.

It was her alright, she could have said nothing and slapped a ticket after I had parked, but she came over to me instead. :)

Marcusm wrote: »
    Where the cycle lane is marked with a dashed line it's effectively only advisory rather than mandatory as other traffic may cross it. It it was a solid cycle lane marking and, within hours, it would be impermissible. Whoever issued the ticket is ill suited to his job.

Strange, in the Netherlands they have the same but it means you can cross the line but must give priority to cyclists in the cycling lane.

That seems like a stupid setup though, would be better to just not have a cycle lane at all and let the cyclists use the road normally like cars.

I would imagine it causes a lot of fights between cyclists and car drivers getting confused on whether they should use the cycle lane or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

OSI wrote: »
    Not allowed to park in a cycle lane, so perhaps that's what they meant?

You are if it's only a cycle lane within certain hours, as was the case in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Says something when loads of posts in and no one knows for certain wether the fine is valid or not - the legalities seem as clear as mud -
    Do we need to simplify our road markings - or just clarify the bylaws- ( ie. This marking means you can park here anytime- this means some times and everything else never )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement