Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice on what animal course i should study

Options
  • 03-07-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am or possibly am hoping to be a mature student. I am basically sick of working in dead end retail jobs and I am getting nowhere with the administration course I did. So in order to stop myself being driven mad I've decided to try for my dream job. Because you know if I never at least try then I'll regret it. Here's my conundrum:

I am 34 so would be a mature student. I would love to work in a museum. Possibly a natural history one. I have always wanted to work with animals or with something to do with animals and the idea of working in the archives or research end appeals to me.

The thought of working in a white coat and pulling out loads of dusty books and/or fossils really appeals to me. Now my only problem is what course should I study? I've literally no idea, is it zoology or ...... I literally have no idea. I've gone to the extreme of emailing the natural history museum in Dublin and London to ask them because I have no help with this at all. Should I go back and do my Leaving Cert again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

I don't know, but speak to people in the job that you want and ask them what you need. Good move on emailing the museums, they should be able to help.
    No need to do the leaving, but once you know what course you need, find out what subjects are covered and start brushing up.
    Also check each university that you intend applying to and check out the entry requirements for mature students. Contact the course directors and they'll help a lot, especially over the summer as they're not as busy.
    Check CAO for dates, it's usually feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Most colleges have a free guidance counsellor, you should make an appointment to see one in whichever college you would like to go to. They will guide you on your path to your new world.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Looking at options in Zoology, Biological science, Earth Science and/or Environmental science might be a good place to start. :)

Advertisement