Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Computers help you get secondary teaching job

Options
  • 03-07-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Its very hard toget a teaching job in secondary schools. I am thinking of doing a higherdiploma in science ( software development) in a university, basically a higherdiploma in computer science. I am a fully qualified secondary teacher with amasters and a h dip and allot of teaching experience. Would this course be anyhelpful in getting teaching job. Would it be helpful in teaching computers in secondaryschool? Could one my teaching council’s subjects be computers if i do thiscourse? Basically will this course be good course to do for teaching. I wouldbe very grateful of any advice, thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I wouldn't see it as a massive advantage.
    Computers is taught in my school by any teacher!
    It is also not a "subject" that you'll see advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

IT still comes under the 30% of a degree rule for registering a subject with the teaching council.

I have a Grad Dip in Computung and it's listed as one of my qualifications on my teaching council file but I'm not registered formally to teach IT. I have been teaching it for the last 14 years in our schools PLC course.

Having an IT qualification in a school is a bonus but the majority of what students are doing is Microsoft related so if a teacher has those skills they are considered IT literate most of the time.

I think realistically a regular curricular subject would probably be of more benefit on your CV on the job hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you were going to add a subject why not add one like Maths? What are your subjects?

What subjects are you currently qualified in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Geography History

• Advertisement

Thats not a very strong subject combination and I can't see IT helping you job-wise.

You would be much better adding another subject.

Yes, perhaps Maths?

Or assuming you did an Arts degree originally if you had another subject in First Year Arts that is taught at second level that you could build upon as you would already have some credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I don't know why you're just arbitrarily suggesting that the OP does a maths qualification doc. Upskilling to be qualified to teach maths is no joke even if you are mathematically minded and the only actual indication you have they the OP might be mathematically minded is their being willing to try IT, which is a little tenuous as a link.

I do agree though that the OP should consider adding a subject that is widely offered and not just as a filler subject. An IT qualification might help you in terms of getting a job in a school that places a high emphasis on the students' IT skills but it's highly unlikely that you'll be hired to teach computers in a secondary school, no matter what qualifications you have. Nobody gets hired specifically to teach computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

OP if you have any interest in Special Needs and maybe consider doing a cert/ diploma in SEN, that would certainly increase your employment prospects

• Advertisement

RealJohn wrote: »
    I don't know why you're just arbitrarily suggesting that the OP does a maths qualification doc. Upskilling to be qualified to teach maths is no joke even if you are mathematically minded and the only actual indication you have they the OP might be mathematically minded is their being willing to try IT, which is a little tenuous as a link.

I do agree though that the OP should consider adding a subject that is widely offered and not just as a filler subject. An IT qualification might help you in terms of getting a job in a school that places a high emphasis on the students' IT skills but it's highly unlikely that you'll be hired to teach computers in a secondary school, no matter what qualifications you have. Nobody gets hired specifically to teach computers.

Well I just though given that there is a free course, offered in various locations, already recognised by the TC it might be something to think about. I wasn't trying to read the OP life from the fact they are considering IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LTLOB

solerina wrote: »
    OP if you have any interest in Special Needs and maybe consider doing a cert/ diploma in SEN, that would certainly increase your employment prospects

Hi Solerina,

I am in similar position to OP, same subjects with poor job prospects. I would be interested in upskilling in area of Sen but difficult to know which course to pursue as you cannot get place in post grads without teaching position. Would you or any other posters have any suggestions? Thanks

Do you not need to be in a teaching position to do SEN?
    I know that a colleague did it but needed a certain amount of SEN hours as "teaching practice".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Do you not need to be in a teaching position to do SEN?
    I know that a colleague did it but needed a certain amount of SEN hours as "teaching practice".

Yes, I did some googling today and the requirements for the course is that you have a teaching position and it has to have at least eleven hours learning support on your timetable and can take 8 weeks off for teaching practice and college work. But on the upside the department pay for it. I can't seem to find any SEN course where you don't have to previously employed. If someone can, I would appreciate the link / name.

For the OP, one of my subjects is IT and I have never used it since my PGDE a few years ago so as other posters said try upskilling in another subject because like CSPE, IT is a filler subject with anyone who can use a computer, getting IT classes.

Thanks for all the responses . With a higher diploma in computers ( the actual course name is Higher diploma in science ( software development ) in a university. Would i be to able teach computer courses in PLC, further education college, third level colleges. Any info I would really appreciate .

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses . With a higher diploma in computers ( the actual course name is Higher diploma in science ( software development ) in a university. Would i be to able teach computer courses in PLC, further education college, third level colleges. Any info I would really appreciate .

You would but it is more difficult to find work in adult ed than it is to get work in post primary. I rarely see any posts for adult ed. FAS/Solas have vacancies sometimes but you have to have six/ten years experience which is mad.

Have you tried any Coder DoJo clubs - might make some contacts?

Sorry I hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question but what is Coder DoJo clubs

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Sorry I hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question but what is Coder DoJo clubs

They are computer coding clubs. I think you'll find one in your area. I think they range from 6/7 - 16 and usually run on Saturday mornings. They use Scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LTLOB

Yes, I did some googling today and the requirements for the course is that you have a teaching position and it has to have at least eleven hours learning support on your timetable and can take 8 weeks off for teaching practice and college work. But on the upside the department pay for it. I can't seem to find any SEN course where you don't have to previously employed. If someone can, I would appreciate the link / name.

For the OP, one of my subjects is IT and I have never used it since my PGDE a few years ago so as other posters said try upskilling in another subject because like CSPE, IT is a filler subject with anyone who can use a computer, getting IT classes.

There are a couple of online courses namely St Angela's in Sligo and St Pats through the ICEPE website, I was wondering if anyone is aware how principals would view these online courses with regard to gaining work as resource hours or learning support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

LTLOB wrote: »
    Hi Solerina,

I am in similar position to OP, same subjects with poor job prospects. I would be interested in upskilling in area of Sen but difficult to know which course to pursue as you cannot get place in post grads without teaching position. Would you or any other posters have any suggestions? Thanks
    A girl who did her H.Dip hours with us a few years ago but hasn't got a regular job since then came in last year to ask us for assistance. She is doing a cert in SEN with ICEP and St Pats ( I think) it's online and she definitely doesn't have a regular job..so maybe look into that....it definitely can't hurt !!! I seeLTLOB beat me to it !!! As to how principal
    S would view them, surely a qualification in SEN is better than no qualification and I know you can go onto an online diploma as this girl told me that was her intention for this coming Sept
    Www.icepe.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement