Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

closest (safe parking) mullaghcleevan

Options
  • 02-07-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

hoping to go camping near mullagcleevan, any ideas where to park? Last time I parked in Blessington but the walk to even get to the hills is soooo boring. I know there is a little lane that goes near black hill that has parking but seems risky to leave a car there over night.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

silverharp wrote: »
    hoping to go camping near mullagcleevan, any ideas where to park? Last time I parked in Blessington but the walk to even get to the hills is soooo boring. I know there is a little lane that goes near black hill that has parking but seems risky to leave a car there over night.

That's exactly where I parked the day before yesterday for my over night camping trip. Ballynultagh Gap. There was a British reg nearly new massive motor home there already when I parked and it was still there (with people in it) when I returned the next day. I guess they enjoyed the view over the lake!

I don't know about security there or anywhere else really. I generally take a relaxed view about it. I don't leave anything of value in the car. And if it gets stolen / burnt out, it is insured.

Just relax, don't worry and enjoy your trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it worked out ok in the end , arrive late leave early. Great views , a pity it doesnt have a more distinctive path

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Nice that you liked it! Where did you camp? At Cleevaun Lough like me?

unkel wrote: »
    Nice that you liked it! Where did you camp? At Cleevaun Lough like me?

just below the summit. it got cool enough and there was some heavy showers overnight, had to hang around in the tent for an hour or two before it dried up. Overall was a good trip. One problem I had was heating up the food , it might of been the wind and being at height.
    I bumped into someone near the top and they suggested going further east to one of the lower peaks that apparently has good rock outcrops for cover but I found just under the summit just fine.

One problem I had was heating up the food , it might of been the wind and being at height.

Same here. There was a fierce wind up there and I had trouble lighting the solid fuel tablets with my gas lighter and keeping them lit. Not a drop of rain for me and the ground was already dry. The only things I had to clean the next day were the pegs :)
    a pity it doesnt have a more distinctive path

Isn't that part of the craic? :p

I know what you're saying though. You're up Black Hill in absolutely no time and then it looks on the map like you've already a good bit of your hike covered. Not so. I actually made it worse for myself by going all the way from there to the lake in a more direct line (well that was the plan) where there was no path at all.

If I'd ever go up there again with a heavy pack, I'd either go from the east (military road) or try park further up from where we were parked and go through the forest...

• Advertisement

I know what you're saying though. You're up Black Hill in absolutely no time and then it looks on the map like you've already a good bit of your hike covered. Not so. I actually made it worse for myself by going all the way from there to the lake in a more direct line (well that was the plan) where there was no path at all.

If I'd ever go up there again with a heavy pack, I'd either go from the east (military road) or try park further up from where we were parked and go through the forest...

I tried to cut across on the way back but probably worse, I didnt see the lake you were at. I should try it from the other side for a change. Hoping to do a couple of 1 or 2 night camps down Glendalough way, I want to spend a night at " 3 lakes" I think its called above the main lakes there.

I didnt see the lake you were at.

You can't see it from the summit of Mullaghcleevaun or from anywhere you were camping. If you look at the summit of Mullaghcleevaun from Black Hill, the lake is actually a good bit further "around" the summit to the left, if you know what I mean
    I want to spend a night at " 3 lakes" I think its called above the main lakes there.

That was the plan for my next camp too! There or Lough Ferrib beside it. We must like our lakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

We should arrange for a few of us to meet up for a wildcamp..I'm browned off talking into the camera at this stage lol and it can get boring on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's important to know there is only 2 lakes at 3 lakes. Its awful boggy there too, you might be better heading down a bit into Glenmalure, or camping near the top op Turlough hill.

Lough Ouler is a great place to camp. the lake's shaped like a heart and I camp below the cliffs on the headland jutting into the lake

There's a few roads leading off the wicklow gap road which should be free of skobie traffic, either up Glenbride, or a forestry road nearer the gap.

I'd like to camp as far away from any road as possible, to minimise any "skobie traffic" :)

Maybe at least a full hours hike away, preferably with little or no tracks, the rougher the better. Also the higher up the better (near stream or lake though). Therefore Lough Ouler and Turlough hill are not ideal I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I'd like to camp as far away from any road as possible, to minimise any "skobie traffic" :)

Maybe at least a full hours hike away, preferably with little or no tracks, the rougher the better. Also the higher up the better (near stream or lake though). Therefore Lough Ouler and Turlough hill are not ideal I'd have thought.

Most of the "Skobie traffic" camp(drink) in the woods just opposite the car park on the far side of the stream at the top of Glenmacnass.

Aye I know - have seen their traces. That area / Tonelagee / the loop walk around the lake are too busy for me anyway just with all the genuine hikers to consider camping there. Same for Turlough hill - pretty crowded around there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's probably an hour hike into Lough Ouler from Glenmacnass, over rough ground.
    When I said Turlough hill, I meant closer to the quarry south of the upper lake on the way to Lough Firrib.

You can park reasonably safely at the lower lake car park at the esb office, and can cut up to take the road up to start the hike towards Lough Firrib.
    Are you going during the week or at weekends?

Anyway if its too "busy" the valley up towards the South prison is very quiet.
    park at Aughavanagh bridge, head up through the forestry road til you get out on the mountain. Pick any part of the south prison.

Advertisement