Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essix retainer w/false teeth???

Options
  • 02-07-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys, I am looking for some dental/orthodontist advice.

Basically, I was born with a rare genetic condition that means I do not have any canines/eye teeth/fangs (whatever you want to call them) or any wisdom teeth top or bottom - just the front four, a gap, then the arch continues on as normal on both sides minus wisdom teeth at the back.

After a botched attempt at braces earlier in life, (free as a child - taken in steps and I got too old and they cut treatment off) I decided to raise the money myself to fix my dental issues €6,500 (owing to the lack of teeth on the top and bottom the others had spaced out leaving small gaps between all of my teeth).

The issues that I have - the orthodontist pulled my bottom teeth together and gave me an Essix retainer - that is fine, I am happy with that. The Essix is very lightweight an comfortable. But he refused to give me an upper Essix, stating that I had to have a Hawley as I need two false eye teeth as trying to work it any other way just wouldn't work - would look - he also stated that I cannot have false teeth on a Essix retainer - as it is impossible.

- I honestly don't believe that there is no such thing as an Essix with false teeth, after having Goggled it. Has anyone out there an Essix with false teeth?

I would much rather have an Essix with false teeth for a number of reasons. I paid a Hell of a lot of money. My Hawley is massive. I had a Hawley for years after my first attempt. The old Hawley is tiny compared to the new one. The plastic on the roof of the mouth of my new one is ridiculously thick, it is twice or three times thicker than my old one. The wire on the front of my new Hawley is also two or three times thicker than the old one and looks worse than having braces on. The false teeth on my new Haley are not in-line with my other teeth and jut way-out looking silly and giving me a vampire-ish vibe.

If I went to another orthodontist would they fit me for a Essix if I requested it? Or can you just not get them with false teeth in Ireland?

Advertisement