Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin's Lost Breweries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Very good will subcribe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Very interesting, but a tad 'southsidey' - only a cursory mention of the Mountjoy Brewery? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Mountjoy Brewery at Russell Street across from Croke Park.

image60.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

alastair wrote: »
    Very interesting, but a tad 'southsidey'
    Westsidey, really. For practical reasons.
    only a cursory mention of the Mountjoy Brewery? :(
    Lists on the internet, eh? :D

Mountjoy doesn't really fit the story: as far as I know it neither acquired nor was acquired by another brewery. (Same goes for Sweetman's, of course, but we were literally walking past it so felt an obligation to stop.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    The Mountjoy Brewery at Russell Street across from Croke Park.

image60.jpg

Ah, poor old Behan (born in 13 Russell Street in 1923) hadn't a hope (brewery closed in 1956). Fascinating history here.

Anybody know anything about the brewery on Brewery Road out in Stillorgan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Very interesting, but a tad 'southsidey' - only a cursory mention of the Mountjoy Brewery? :(

Sorry, can you direct me to your video that includes these?

Sorry, can you direct me to your video that includes these?

Is this an attempt at sarcasm?

Beernut's video was, as I stated, very interesting, but missed out on a pretty significant part of the 'lost brewery' story by focussing on the grand canal breweries at the expense of the royal canal end of things. Now you can rightly point to the complete absence of any brewery video from this source, but let me paint an analogy for you:

Punter - This portrait of me is missing my nose!
    Artist - Well, where's your brilliant drawing then?

Kind of misses the point, eh?

BeerNut wrote: »

Lists on the internet, eh? :D
    Not really. I live beside it, so it kind of springs to mind.
    Mountjoy doesn't really fit the story: as far as I know it neither acquired nor was acquired by another brewery. (Same goes for Sweetman's, of course, but we were literally walking past it so felt an obligation to stop.)
    That's true, but it was also the last Dublin alternative to Guinness's standing, before being lost itself.

Nevertheless - I enjoyed your video - and the Dalkey Mustard business is a lovely bit of trivia.

it was also the last Dublin alternative to Guinness's standing, before being lost itself.
    Yeah, I heard that on some YouTube video about Dublin breweries..

Yeah, I heard that on some YouTube video about Dublin breweries..

The same one that didn't visit the site, despite the significance of the brewery to the story being told? :D

• Advertisement

The same one that didn't visit the site, despite the significance of the brewery to the story being told?
    The story is about the breweries which were eventually consolidated into Watkins, Jameson, Pim & Co. Where does Mountjoy fit there, other than as a footnote?

We'll need this information for the franchise reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is this an attempt at sarcasm?

Beernut's video was, as I stated, very interesting, but missed out on a pretty significant part of the 'lost brewery' story by focussing on the grand canal breweries at the expense of the royal canal end of things. Now you can rightly point to the complete absence of any brewery video from this source, but let me paint an analogy for you:

Punter - This portrait of me is missing my nose!
    Artist - Well, where's your brilliant drawing then?

Kind of misses the point, eh?

It wasn't an attempt, it was sarcasm.

The OP states that it covers some of Dublin's lost breweries and doesn't pretend to be a complete history of all breweries ever in Dublin.

I just thought your point was rather churlish and presumed you had done better yourself but you haven't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I take it the Russell St brewery was where the apartments and the Mick Wallace restaurant now are? Listed on Google as Distillery Court now, so did they make spirits too? Walked past it everyday for about a year and never realised the history.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

irish_goat wrote: »
    I take it the Russell St brewery was where the apartments and the Mick Wallace restaurant now are? Listed on Google as Distillery Court now, so did they make spirits too? Walked past it everyday for about a year and never realised the history.

DWD Jones Road Distillery, you'll see some DWD mirrors etc (and repros of them) in bars around town.

I just thought your point was rather churlish and presumed you had done better yourself but you haven't.

Of course you did. :rolleyes:

irish_goat wrote: »

The distillery was built after the brewery. The brewery was situated beside the canal, up to where the Wallace apartments start, and the distillery from about there up to the NCR.

Advertisement