Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students - B Ed

Options
  • 02-07-2015 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

Any fellow mature students out there planning on doing the B.Ed in September? I received my letter following the interview saying I was successful. Just waiting on the CAO offers now. Very nervous/excited at the same time. Anyone any idea the hours per week? I heard its 9 to 6 most days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Adgerbarr

Hi,
    I will be starting the bEd in Sept 2015 as a mature student too! Really looking forward to it but very nervous too! I've heard it's 30 hours per week at least !

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanya234

Ya I heard that too, it's a bit daunting isn't it! Hopefully after a few weeks we will get used to it. I thinks first day of lectures is the 7th September?

Yes, I think so and I think registration/orientation will be the week before. I wonder will there be many matures on the course? It's great to know there is 1 more anyway :) I think a few go through from the Access course too.

Same! :) I'm not sure how many mature students there will be. It's a popular course so I imagine quiet a few. There was a lot doing the interviews. The orientation is the Thursday/Friday before I think yes. Will def need to go to that, was never in Mary I before, bar the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There are usually a good number of mature students in each course each year so there will be plenty of people to meet! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 DeiseB

Hi there,
    Also a mature student doing B Ed. I was on Mary I website last night and there is some information about the Orientation already that is helpful. Looking forward to starting now, scared but excited!

Hi! :) Just accepted my CAO offer this morning so seems pretty real now. The nerves are kicking in, excited too though. Any ideas on how long till the college send out the registration packs?

Hi Tanya234 :) I've just done the same! I'm not sure but I have seen Mary I Student Union posting on Facebook about orientation so there could be something on there. I was only there for the interview so I'll be the one with the campus map in my hand for the first month :)

Haha DeiseB, I will be the very same! I had to ask for directions when doing the interview, hadn't a clue where I was going. I applied for a mature student grant, and wont know if I'm eligible until I'm registered with the college, so eager to get the ball rolling :) Leaving a full time to return to college, so hopefully it will be worth it!

@ Tanya234 I noticed campus tours as part of the orientation and also meetings specifically for mature students so all our questions will hopefully be answered there. My job had been reduced to subbing so I just decided to go for it. I have 2 young girls so this has to be worth it! It will :)

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I accepted my cao offer today too!! Really excited now!! I don't know my way around either! I have 2 young boys and finishing up my fulltime job this week so it will be nice to have a few weeks off before the madness begins 😄

We will all be in the same boat so :) Best of luck! Enjoy the few weeks off.. I will be working until the start date unfortunately but I don't mind too much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Best of luck to all of you starting!
    Just to let you know that there is a wonderful service within the college for those of you with children. It's called SPSS, for student parents. Highly recommend that you get in touch with them when you start. More information is available on the MIC website and in the diary you'll get when starting.

Hi again,
    Just saw that the timetable is up for the B Ed. Can anyone tell me when I am working it out, do I just worry about anything that says 1a or b before it? It seems to be 1 to 7. Probably a silly question but confused all the same so any response would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

DeiseB wrote: »
    Hi again,
    Just saw that the timetable is up for the B Ed. Can anyone tell me when I am working it out, do I just worry about anything that says 1a or b before it? It seems to be 1 to 7. Probably a silly question but confused all the same so any response would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Hi DeiseB,

Where did you see the timetable? I can't find it on the site. Thanks :)

Hi Tanya234,

I followed a link on the Mary I Students Union Facebook page. Let me know if you still can't find it and I'll check the Mary I website to see where it's hiding :)

DeiseB wrote: »
    Hi Tanya234,

I followed a link on the Mary I Students Union Facebook page. Let me know if you still can't find it and I'll check the Mary I website to see where it's hiding :)

Found it thanks :) I reckon when we start we will be told what class we are in i.e 1a/1b/2a/2b etc.. Then we will know the classes we have. Would I be right in saying Tuesday is free until 11am?

Tanya234 wrote: »
    Found it thanks :) I reckon when we start we will be told what class we are in i.e 1a/1b/2a/2b etc.. Then we will know the classes we have. Would I be right in saying Tuesday is free until 11am?

Honestly no idea.....I'm going to have a look online to see if I can get any info. It'll all be clearer in a couple of weeks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Hi guys!

Not a mature but said I'd drop in & try to help out. When you go down for orientation you'll notice that there's a whole load of ye.

You'll be assigned a smaller group (1-7) and you'll be with your group most of the time. Then for tutorial style lectures/lectures that require more individual attention your group will be split in two.

Groups are assigned alphabetically I think, so you'll find out what group you're in pretty soon! Best of luck with the b.ed & congrats on getting this far!

Hi everyone,
    Received my enrolment pack yesterday so it's really sinking in now!!!
    Had a look at the timetables too but they will make more sense once we know the group we are in!!. I'm so nervous/excited/happy/scared all at the same time!! Looking forward to getting started !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Micheller7

I'm not sure if I've post this in the right place but maybe someone here might know the answer to my question... When applying for b.ed as a mature are the leaving cert points taken into consideration for entry or is it just based on the general interview and oral Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Laken Dara

Micheller7 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I've post this in the right place but maybe someone here might know the answer to my question... When applying for b.ed as a mature are the leaving cert points taken into consideration for entry or is it just based on the general interview and oral Irish?

The Interview and the oral irish Micheller7

Laken Dara wrote: »
    The Interview and the oral irish Micheller7

Once you have your honours Irish and your pass grade in Maths, its just the interviews in Irish and English after that :)

Tanya234 wrote: »
    Once you have your honours Irish and your pass grade in Maths, its just the interviews in Irish and English after that :)

Advertisement