Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuition fees and previous education question

Options
  • 02-07-2015 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there.
    I have a friend who is wanting to do a level 8 undergraduate course in UCC this September as a mature student. She has previously done a nursing certificate in Germany which was evaluated as the equivalent of a FETAC level 6 qualification in Ireland. She has also been living and working in Ireland for the last 5 years.

My question is if she got a grant from SUSI, would she still have to pay the tuition fees as well or would that be covered by the grant? There doesn't seem to be any detailed information on how previous qualifications effect tuition fees/grants that we could find, so any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

eisenhorn wrote: »
    Hi there.
    I have a friend who is wanting to do a level 8 undergraduate course in UCC this September as a mature student. She has previously done a nursing certificate in Germany which was evaluated as the equivalent of a FETAC level 6 qualification in Ireland. She has also been living and working in Ireland for the last 5 years.

My question is if she got a grant from SUSI, would she still have to pay the tuition fees as well or would that be covered by the grant? There doesn't seem to be any detailed information on how previous qualifications effect tuition fees/grants that we could find, so any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

As long as she is progressing from her level 6 qualification and meets all other criteria, she will be awarded a grant based on the gross reckonable income thresholds. Available Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eisenhorn

Thanks for the reply!
    So if I understand correctly she would have to pay either the tuition fee or student contribution charge no matter what?

By progressing do you mean doing a higher level course than before? (In this case she would be going from level 6 to level 8) Or does the previous course have to be in the same field of study?

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

eisenhorn wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!
    So if I understand correctly she would have to pay either the tuition fee or student contribution charge no matter what?

By progressing do you mean doing a higher level course than before? (In this case she would be going from level 6 to level 8) Or does the previous course have to be in the same field of study?

Thanks for your help :)

If she qualifies for a full grant, she pays nothing. The tuition fees are covered by the free fees initiative and the contribution (or part of) is covered by SUSI if she qualifies.
    Progressing means doing a higher level/year than previously attended and does not have to be in the same field of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eisenhorn

Ok thanks very much for your help. Appreciate it!

Advertisement